PSC Hydro woes

does anyone know if I can plumb an OEM pump to work with my PSC hydro assist at home without anything special? My pump has a lot of play in the shaft and somehow even caused my belt to jump track on the pulley after it started to rub on the mounting bracket. If I have to order a new one from PSC I know it will be Monday at the soonest before I get it, even if they overnight it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming you have the right fittings to make it work, yeah, you can plumb your ram assist to your factory pump but, it won't give you much if any assist. You might be better off just capping the box and running your factory pump as is. Be easier to do and will probably do a better job.

Planned on just swapping the fittings over from the PSC pump. The pump itself looks identical to the OEM pump, just the fittings are different, dont really know what could be different on the inside.

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

rinkishjk

Planned on just swapping the fittings over from the PSC pump. The pump itself looks identical to the OEM pump, just the fittings are different, dont really know what could be different on the inside.

I can tell u my psc pump weighs a lot more than the stock pump. I would imagine along with the vanes inside, other parts are upgraded also. I would follow Eddies advise.
I also believe they use a smaller pulley on the pump, which will up the pressure due to a faster rotation, with a larger idler pulley so the stock belt works..

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:cheesy: Well, you asked and I'm just telling you what I know based on what I've tried. Don't like my answer, just do it and find out for yourself :yup:

:cheesy: Well, you asked and I'm just telling you what I know based on what I've tried. Don't like my answer, just do it and find out for yourself :yup:

Never said I didnt like your answer, was simply stating that I dont know what was done on the inside of the pump and that's the part that I'm stuck on. Pulley size and what they called a "pressure valve", which is one of the fittings, is visibly different. I guess what I'm not understanding is with the physical size of an OEM pump, what would be changed internally to make it beefier?

Top Bottom