My Rubicon Dives left when braking

rubiconG

Hey guys,

The title basically sums it up...When I brake hard the jeep pulls hard to the left almost like that front drivers side rotor has all the power? (feels like) has anyone had similar issue? Is the caliper frozen? Do these jeeps have proportion valve? I have no had time to take any wheels off to look at it yet. Also sometimes It feels shaky... like the steering wheel shimmys while your braking...

let me know what you think
Thanks

Nick

JKWrang

Hey guys,

The title basically sums it up...When I brake hard the jeep pulls hard to the left almost like that front drivers side rotor has all the power? (feels like) has anyone had similar issue? Is the caliper frozen? Do these jeeps have proportion valve? I have no had time to take any wheels off to look at it yet. Also sometimes It feels shaky... like the steering wheel shimmys while your braking...

let me know what you think
Thanks

Nick

If the caliper was stuck it'd pull and you'd notice excessive deceleration during normal driving. It sounds like you might be braking hard and fast when you stop and a caliper is warped like was said above.

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

seanb123

I had a caliper seize up on me twice. Once I had to replace it once I let it sit and then it was fine. I'd try it again and then go from there

rubiconG

I have not figured it out yet, I may need to pull the rotors and change them and see if that helps... But they are not spent yet :crazyeyes:

LittleD-Tj

Pull the rotors and take to an auto parts store that had machine to turn them and they can tell if warped when shaving them down.

JKbrick

I can't see how a rotor would make it pull, it seems like you would more likely have a bad caliper or maybe the brake line on the right side has a problem and all the pressure from the brake booster is going to the left instead of equally between both front calipers. The shimmy under braking could be a warped rotor but I'm not sure the dive is

LittleD-Tj

He did say it shakes a little when braking so that's where I would start. Having rotors turned doesn't cost much either. Just my opinion

kimer82

rotors warping is very common in colder weather. driving to places that require many breaking will heat up the rotor enough and when you hit that golden pothole or water spot, it has a good chance to earp the rotors.

if not check both brake pressure and calipers to see if there is any defect.

if somehow the rotor is warped, on the rotor it self, it should say the min Thickness required to use it. measure it and add .30" to the min thickness to rotor to turn it. if not, chuck it away and get the new one.

Pick up dial indicator from local shop of you dont have it and dont want to pay $$ from shop and measure it your self.

cheers

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I can't see how a rotor would make it pull, it seems like you would more likely have a bad caliper or maybe the brake line on the right side has a problem and all the pressure from the brake booster is going to the left instead of equally between both front calipers. The shimmy under braking could be a warped rotor but I'm not sure the dive is

X's 2 I agree. I've had a bad caliper before.

Benito

Caught the Bug
I've ran into this issue not in a jeep, the brake line was pinched on one side so only the other side would brake

Top Bottom