Noise from the undercarriage

Devallee

I was driving down the freeway today and noticed a sound coming from the undercarriage. It's sort of a tapping sound sort of like metal tapping metal (like a brake pad tapping a warped rotor or something like that) but I know it isn't my brakes. It accelerates when I accelerate, but ONLY while accelerating. If I let my foot off of the gas or put on the brakes it stops immediately. And it's consistent with acceleration at any speed whether from a stop or accelerating on the freeway, not at any particular RPM range. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe checking the tranny fluid to see if it's low or something that's allowing something to lose lubrication? I'm just winging it which is why I'm asking if anybody has any ideas :idontknow: Anything would be helpful. Thanks in advance

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

I'd start by checking both driveshafts, u joints etc.. It's good to check them every now and them anyway.

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

JK-JOHN-E

I had a similar issue after doing my budget boost. Check to make sure the rear sway bar and the exhaust are not making contact. That's what it was on mine. The fix was longer exhaust brackets $30.00:yup:

Army_Vet

Banned
Driveshaft boot? If it gets ripped up it can make a similar noise.

This is not consistent with letting off the gas and or hitting the brake.

I would not bother with trans fluid, but its good to check anyway; but I would work from the drive shafts out to the wheel ends to include the brake calipers. shake everything hard. look for something loose

ttfhell

This is not consistent with letting off the gas and or hitting the brake.

I would not bother with trans fluid, but its good to check anyway; but I would work from the drive shafts out to the wheel ends to include the brake calipers. shake everything hard. look for something loose

I should've read the fine print..

Devallee

Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll check on it as soon as I get back from spending all my money for my mom's birthday on Monday :cheesy:

Top Bottom