Newbie bumper/winch question

In5ane1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just ordered a JCR mid width hidden winch bumper. Didn't get their fairlead as I know some come with winches. But all I've seen cable winches have are the roller fairleads and the hawed fairleads only come with synthetic line winches...what is reason for this?

Also I've not seen a hidden winch bumper with a roller, only the hawes style fairlead. Why is this? Is it functionality or aesthetic reasons?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You really do not want to run synth line on a winch with roller fairlead that has been used with steel rope. Having said that, if your winch is brand new and the rollers never used, there really is no problem running a synth line on it. Most of the hawse fairleads you see are aluminum and they are what you'd want to use with a synth line. They will have a cleaner look and allow you keep your front end slimmer - this can give you a slight advantage on big rocks. Where rollers are better is in extreme side pulls. I have run both and both work well although, I still prefer rollers - maybe I'm just old school though. Either way, you'll be fine.

In5ane1

You really do not want to run synth line on a winch with roller fairlead that has been used with steel rope. Having said that, if your winch is brand new and the rollers never used, there really is no problem running a synth line on it. Most of the hawse fairleads you see are aluminum and they are what you'd want to use with a synth line. They will have a cleaner look and allow you keep your front end slimmer - this can give you a slight advantage on big rocks. Where rollers are better is in extreme side pulls. I have run both and both work well although, I still prefer rollers - maybe I'm just old school though. Either way, you'll be fine.

So bolt pattern a are same and I'd have no problems with a roller on my bumper setup?

For a budget guy, any issue really with running a cable now days with synthetics on the market?

Hey man, thanks a ton! Excited bout my bumper!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom