Nitto Trail Grapplers vs. Duratracs

ctlazer5

Just wondering which ones would be better overall. I can't decide between the two and want your guys opinions. Which one do you think would be better in the wet conditions as well as dry. Which ones do you think would wear better as well. I am looking to get both in 35" size. All the info you guys have helps thank you.

I have had 2 sets of trail grapplers and they are great in rain and snow as well on dry roads. They are quiet on the road and great on the rocks. I have never had duratracs but heard good things about them as well. I love nitto tire and have them on all my cars.

Spartan

I have had 2 sets of trail grapplers and they are great in rain and snow as well on dry roads. They are quiet on the road and great on the rocks. I have never had duratracs but heard good things about them as well. I love nitto tire and have them on all my cars.

Haven't ran either, but I have driven a Jeep with TG's and I liked them. The most common compliant I have heard other then them being heavy. Is that some times they get a little louder when they get worn down, but even then they still aren't that loud.

Brankz

Duratracs are all terrain trails are MUDs

100% go with the trails
I have duratracs and there smaller than other 33s

Last edited:
Haven't ran either, but I have driven a Jeep with TG's and I liked them. The most common compliant I have heard other then them being heavy. Is that some times they get a little louder when they get worn down, but even then they still aren't that loud.[/QUOTE

They do get a lil louder but not much. I run 37's and cant even hear them going down the road

jkjurny

I have TG's in 35's and love them. Great on the trail and rocks.

They are heavy and you do hear them going 70 plus. At 40 to 60, I think it's pretty standard sound.

Now, the other day, I was able to fish tail my backend making a left turn on a wet road. I wasn't going too fast at all, and I don't think I hit the gas too hard either. But, I do think that any mud terrain tire would've done the same thing. Duratracs being an AT tire, I don't think it would have slipped.

MT vs AT isn't a fair comparison so you should decide that first, then the brand.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I've ran both. Nittos are the better tire. Duratracs are supposed to be better in their snow which is why I originally bought them and they do perform well in the snow. However I have founds Nittos to perform just as well. However the weaker sidewall on the duratracs would prevent me from ordering them again.

I don't think the duratracs are bad, they just aren't as good as the Nittos.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've ran both. Nittos are the better tire. Duratracs are supposed to be better in their snow which is why I originally bought them and they do perform well in the snow. However I have founds Nittos to perform just as well. However the weaker sidewall on the duratracs would prevent me from ordering them again.

I don't think the duratracs are bad, they just aren't as good as the Nittos.

Yup, what he said. Duratracs are great tires but I personally think that Nittos are better.

flotto

I have Duratracs and love them but the main reason I'm running them is bc I got a really good deal on them. I'll prolly got Nitto next time around.

ctlazer5

Thanks guys. This is kinda what I have been hearing. They are both good tires but the Nitto's seem to be a bit better. Which ones do you think will wear better because that is my other concern.

ctlazer5

I have TG's in 35's and love them. Great on the trail and rocks.

They are heavy and you do hear them going 70 plus. At 40 to 60, I think it's pretty standard sound.

Now, the other day, I was able to fish tail my backend making a left turn on a wet road. I wasn't going too fast at all, and I don't think I hit the gas too hard either. But, I do think that any mud terrain tire would've done the same thing. Duratracs being an AT tire, I don't think it would have slipped.

MT vs AT isn't a fair comparison so you should decide that first, then the brand.

This is has also been a concern to me, I've heard that you could fish tail without trying to on wet surfaces with the Nitto's and I am not sure how I feel about that. I want them to also be good in the wet conditions.

jkjurny

This is has also been a concern to me, I've heard that you could fish tail without trying to on wet surfaces with the Nitto's and I am not sure how I feel about that. I want them to also be good in the wet conditions.

I think you can fishtail with any Mud Terrain tire. You don't have as much rubber on the pavement due to the lugs. I've heard people slip with BFG KM2s also.

More rubber on pavement with All Terrains, so as states, you need to decide tire type first, then move in to brand selection.

Spartan

I agree you can't really compare AT vs MT. AT's and the normal street type tires that come on most cars are going to do better in wet and snow them most MT's. I loved my KM2's, but in the rain they are just ok. The tires on my wife's car are much better in the snow.

That being said after what I have read on here, and in other places, and after driving a Jeep with a set of TG's(only on dry pavement) I'm thinking that the TG's might be a better year round tire.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Honestly if the conditions are right and your driving a certain way any tire would do that. I have fish tailed my stepdads xterra with AT tires plenty of times. I also fish tailed my jeep a couple of times (back when it was stock with the stock tiny tires)

Sent from my iPhone

Lil Nasty

On my second set of duratracs. Good tire but not great. I bought them due to their light weight. My Toyos were a better quality tire overall just heavy. After life with the goodyears I'm done. I like the quality of toyo/nitto vs the weight of the goodyears. Everything mentioned about the duratracs have been accurate.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
The Nittos are better for off roading, but since you live in CT you should get the Duratracs for all the weather you have.
:beer::beer:

jkjurny

ctlazer5, your PM box is full.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
only time i fish tail is a few very select spots around town and those are very sharp turns and ive done it in quite a few of my cars with all types of tires.....even high performance ones on my old bmw. I love my nittos however. Never got to play with them with a bunch of snow yet, but they are great all around tires that wear very well.

ctlazer5

only time i fish tail is a few very select spots around town and those are very sharp turns and ive done it in quite a few of my cars with all types of tires.....even high performance ones on my old bmw. I love my nittos however. Never got to play with them with a bunch of snow yet, but they are great all around tires that wear very well.

Thank you hinrichs, I think I have decided on the Nittos.

Top Bottom