Bumper paint?

In5ane1

Should be getting my JCR orrllffroad bumper soon. What is suggested for painting it?

I've had people tell me to pay for rhino lining, others say spray bedliner, and some say just rustoleum paint.

From those with experience, I'm looking for advice. I like a textured look.

Pictures would also be helpful. Tia!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GCM 2

Should be getting my JCR orrllffroad bumper soon. What is suggested for painting it?

I've had people tell me to pay for rhino lining, others say spray bedliner, and some say just rustoleum paint.

From those with experience, I'm looking for advice. I like a textured look.

Pictures would also be helpful. Tia!

It will come down to personal preference in what finish you like. I do not like Rhino lining for anything other than the bed of a truck or the inside footwell/floor boards of a vehicle. Using the true "hot spray" Rhino lining on bumpers and armor is too porous and rough of a finish, traps dirt permanently and is difficult to clean stains out of, with out completely re-applying a new coating which is not that cost affective.

I have used rattle can spray on bed liner on a few bumpers and on my door sills of my jeep and really like the more 'gritty' or fine sand paper finish to it. It is easy to apply and to re-apply after it wears, but it can also tend to trap stains and dirt too. Overall, it does a nice job of protecting and looking great, plus you can re-apply at home for little to no cost.

My favorite is just 'Satin Black' Rustoleum spray paint. It is a smooth finish, little to no shine and super easy to maintain with easy touch ups.

I think for bumpers I would probably steer towards the rattle can spray paint bed liner, like Dupli Color makes.

Last edited:

SDG

Caught the Bug
You can have a textured powder coat put on. Make sure they add or that it also contains a uv protectant.

I can add a pic of mine when I get home later.

In5ane1

It will come down to personal preference in what finish you like. I do not like Rhino lining for anything other than the bed of a truck or the inside footwell/floor boards of a vehicle. Using the true "hot spray" Rhino lining on bumpers and armor is too porous and rough of a finish, traps dirt permanently and is difficult to clean stains out of, with out completely re-applying a new coating which is not that cost affective.

I have used rattle can spray on bed liner on a few bumpers and on my door sills of my jeep and really like the more 'gritty' or fine sand paper finish to it. It is easy to apply and to re-apply after it wears, but it can also tend to trap stains and dirt too. Overall, it does a nice job of protecting and looking great, plus you can re-apply at home for little to no cost.

My favorite is just 'Satin Black' Rustoleum spray paint. It is a smooth finish, little to no shine and super easy to maintain with easy touch ups.

I think for bumpers I would probably steer towards the rattle can spray paint bed liner, like Dupli Color makes.

Do these options have a UV protectant?

soxfan74

Just did my JCR dagger with rustoleum self etching primer and rustoleum black bedliner. Came out AWESOME. Honestly, I didn't really put the amount of time into it that's recommended, didn't clean with acetone beforehand, just took some steel wool to it for a few wipes (mostly to get my name in marker off, and the packing tape glue). Put 3-4 coats of primer and prob 3-4 coats of bed liner. You should let the bed liner coats set for at least a day or so for it to fully harden. But if you're like me with a Warn box sitting in your garage staring at you for weeks, well, you'll probably rush into it and slap that winch on before it's ready. No worries, blast some more rattle can liner on there and it blends in amazingly well. Honest, it looks professional and matches the stock fenders perfect. So glad I didn't get it powder coated. Couldn't be happier with the finish or the JCR. Here's a few pics of the process and the finished product. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384398951.797963.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384398985.479087.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384399131.396519.jpg

In5ane1

Just did my JCR dagger with rustoleum self etching primer and rustoleum black bedliner. Came out AWESOME. Honestly, I didn't really put the amount of time into it that's recommended, didn't clean with acetone beforehand, just took some steel wool to it for a few wipes (mostly to get my name in marker off, and the packing tape glue). Put 3-4 coats of primer and prob 3-4 coats of bed liner. You should let the bed liner coats set for at least a day or so for it to fully harden. But if you're like me with a Warn box sitting in your garage staring at you for weeks, well, you'll probably rush into it and slap that winch on before it's ready. No worries, blast some more rattle can liner on there and it blends in amazingly well. Honest, it looks professional and matches the stock fenders perfect. So glad I didn't get it powder coated. Couldn't be happier with the finish or the JCR. Here's a few pics of the process and the finished product. View attachment 56507 View attachment 56508 View attachment 56509

Hey man, that really looks great! Exactly what I'm looking for. I really do appreciate the time you put in to respond and post pics...very helpful!

Will post mine when I get bumper and get it painted!

One question, did you bother to test fit the bumper before you painted it as JCR suggests? Seems like a lit of up front work. Just curious.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Just did my JCR dagger with rustoleum self etching primer and rustoleum black bedliner. Came out AWESOME. Honestly, I didn't really put the amount of time into it that's recommended, didn't clean with acetone beforehand, just took some steel wool to it for a few wipes (mostly to get my name in marker off, and the packing tape glue). Put 3-4 coats of primer and prob 3-4 coats of bed liner. You should let the bed liner coats set for at least a day or so for it to fully harden. But if you're like me with a Warn box sitting in your garage staring at you for weeks, well, you'll probably rush into it and slap that winch on before it's ready. No worries, blast some more rattle can liner on there and it blends in amazingly well. Honest, it looks professional and matches the stock fenders perfect. So glad I didn't get it powder coated. Couldn't be happier with the finish or the JCR. Here's a few pics of the process and the finished product. View attachment 56507 View attachment 56508 View attachment 56509

Im definately digging that bumper. Is that with the prerunner hoop?

soxfan74

Yup, Dagger Stubby with PreRunner.
Also, yes, I did test fit beforehand which is part of the reason I didn't let the bumper hang and dry for 24-48 hours. I gave it maybe an hour and then bolted the thing on. Here's the test fit shot ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384452060.598557.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384452080.148697.jpg

The raw steel looks bad ass.

In5ane1

Yup, Dagger Stubby with PreRunner.
Also, yes, I did test fit beforehand which is part of the reason I didn't let the bumper hang and dry for 24-48 hours. I gave it maybe an hour and then bolted the thing on. Here's the test fit shot View attachment 56552 View attachment 56553

The raw steel looks bad ass.

Love the raw steel look!

Guess I should test fit mine too. Their site says after its painted they will only repair bumper, not replace.

I ordered one of the bla k Friday specials last Friday and it said in stock. Its been a week and the order status still says in process...I'm getting anxious!!!

soxfan74

Got mine from Jason at Krawl Offroad. Great deal but took forrrrever. They're pretty much made to order and ship direct from JCR. Took the full 15 business days, maybe 16 to ship, which comes out to 3 or 4 weeks. I was dying. Worth the wait tho. It's a good idea to test fit but I gotta say this thing fits like a glove. I mean perfect. Just follow what they say and sort of slide it in from the right (if I remember correctly) and it just clicks into place.

desertrunner

just did my new BFH pumper this weekend
what i did was use carb cleaner to clean it up used 150 grit sand paper to rough it all up then wiped it down with carp cleaner again to get all the dust off
used a rust-oleum industrial primer 3 coats
IMAG2028.jpg
then a flat black rust-oleum industrial enamel below 3 coats (mine wasnt textured but they have textured versions of what i used)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...ack-7578838/202058770?N=apz5Zbm1#.UovBktKsh8E
i only waited about 24 hours to put it on i would recommend waiting about 48 hours to let the enamel harden. When i tightened down the bolts the washers dug into the paint a little.
other than that it turned out great so glad i didnt spend the extra money to get it powder coated
IMAG2042.jpg

In5ane1

just did my new BFH pumper this weekend
what i did was use carb cleaner to clean it up used 150 grit sand paper to rough it all up then wiped it down with carp cleaner again to get all the dust off
used a rust-oleum industrial primer 3 coats
View attachment 57232
then a flat black rust-oleum industrial enamel below 3 coats (mine wasnt textured but they have textured versions of what i used)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...ack-7578838/202058770?N=apz5Zbm1#.UovBktKsh8E
i only waited about 24 hours to put it on i would recommend waiting about 48 hours to let the enamel harden. When i tightened down the bolts the washers dug into the paint a little.
other than that it turned out great so glad i didnt spend the extra money to get it powder coated
View attachment 57233

Hey good info man, I appreciate that!

What did you paint your grill with? Looks good!

Top Bottom