Poison Spyder rock brawler rear bumper/swing out tire carrier

Anybody running this bumper and tire carrier? I know they have a new one out that opens with the tailgate but I'm looking at the old style carrier. Wondering if there is any rattles on annoyances before I purchase one. Pictures would be great as well

Thanks,
Sean

bmwegr

My Rock Brawler Bumper

It's a solid bumper with great craftsmanship and the hinge is very sturdy. The latch mechanism is a high quality setup, however I called PSC about wanting to adjust the latch tighter and they have not included provisions for any adjustments. They continued to tell me that I can bend the striker pads in on the top and bottom of the latch to tighten things up. Having done this I can tell it's already bending back and loosening up. My fix is to add tabs to the swing out carrier that snub against the tailgate bumpers. By no means is this a rattley junk bumper. Regarding the original vs. the new version. The old version can take a hit from.. lets say backing into a tree without the tailgate getting loaded or bent. Whereas the new version will directly load the tailgate and is more susceptible to damage.

Good luck with your decision.

It's a solid bumper with great craftsmanship and the hinge is very sturdy. The latch mechanism is a high quality setup, however I called PSC about wanting to adjust the latch tighter and they have not included provisions for any adjustments. They continued to tell me that I can bend the striker pads in on the top and bottom of the latch to tighten things up. Having done this I can tell it's already bending back and loosening up. My fix is to add tabs to the swing out carrier that snub against the tailgate bumpers. By no means is this a rattley junk bumper. Regarding the original vs. the new version. The old version can take a hit from.. lets say backing into a tree without the tailgate getting loaded or bent. Whereas the new version will directly load the tailgate and is more susceptible to damage.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the help. I have the AEV rear bumper and tire carrier and love it, no complaints at all but I'm sick of my stock fenders and how they don't clean or stay clean. That is why I am looking to sell that bumper and get a poison spyder bumper and their tube fenders

mgmavant

I looked into this bumper not too long ago, and I heard nothing but good reviews which included “solid construction" and "no rattles.” I really liked the look and the symmetry of that bumper over the linked one, but I ended up going with the linked bumper (Rockbrawler II) and absolutely love it. It is extremely well made and it looks fantastic. I ended up painting it myself because all the quotes I got were way more than I was willing to spend on powder coating. One word of caution is that this thing is HEAVY. The main package that contained just the bumper and the swing-out arm (hardware, mounting brackets and tramp-stamp were mailed separately) weighed 157 pounds! I suspect that the non-linked one would be just a tad over that, but not completely sure.

I got the linked version because the wife wanted it to be easy to open and close the rear when she went mall-crawling. It really is a slick design that works very well. Opens and closes just as easily as the stock rear - with the exception that I'm swinging a heck of a lot more weight (I have a 37" Nitto TG mounted on a ATX slab on there right now). My wife and 9 year old daughter have no problem opening/closing the gate on level ground, so it really is easy to get in the back. If you need to get into the back of the Jeep often, I would recommend the linked version, but as one poster had mentioned already, it does leave you somewhat exposed to rear damage if you back into something (no more so than the stock setup, though).

If it was just me driving the Jeep, I probably would have gone with the non-linked version, but now having the linked one I'm glad I went with this one.

I looked into this bumper not too long ago, and I heard nothing but good reviews which included “solid construction" and "no rattles.” I really liked the look and the symmetry of that bumper over the linked one, but I ended up going with the linked bumper (Rockbrawler II) and absolutely love it. It is extremely well made and it looks fantastic. I ended up painting it myself because all the quotes I got were way more than I was willing to spend on powder coating. One word of caution is that this thing is HEAVY. The main package that contained just the bumper and the swing-out arm (hardware, mounting brackets and tramp-stamp were mailed separately) weighed 157 pounds! I suspect that the non-linked one would be just a tad over that, but not completely sure.

I got the linked version because the wife wanted it to be easy to open and close the rear when she went mall-crawling. It really is a slick design that works very well. Opens and closes just as easily as the stock rear - with the exception that I'm swinging a heck of a lot more weight (I have a 37" Nitto TG mounted on a ATX slab on there right now). My wife and 9 year old daughter have no problem opening/closing the gate on level ground, so it really is easy to get in the back. If you need to get into the back of the Jeep often, I would recommend the linked version, but as one poster had mentioned already, it does leave you somewhat exposed to rear damage if you back into something (no more so than the stock setup, though).

If it was just me driving the Jeep, I probably would have gone with the non-linked version, but now having the linked one I'm glad I went with this one.

Have you had the chance to open/ operate the swing out carrier ? I personally do not open the rear of my jeep too much but I still don't want to be struggling with the latch if I have something in my hands, I'd want it to just be an easy pull of the lever and it swings open. Before I purchased my AEV set up, I was looking at the rock brawler 2 bumper but didn't like the way the carrier looked. Thank you for your input, also, do you have any pictures of your set up?

dirtlimo

I also have the "old-style" and 98% of the time I love it.
BUT, sometimes you have to push in the tire to get it to unlatch. Which is ok for me, not so much for the better half.
I also have a Hi-Lift mounted to this, and it does rattle on rocky roads.

I also have the "old-style" and 98% of the time I love it.
BUT, sometimes you have to push in the tire to get it to unlatch. Which is ok for me, not so much for the better half.
I also have a Hi-Lift mounted to this, and it does rattle on rocky roads.

I'm guessing you have to push it in because there's too much weight/ pressure on the latch? Doesn't seem like a big deal. Hi lift rattles are the worst, I have mine wrapped in a towel and taped up to stop that annoyance but that couldn't happen if I mounted it to the carrier. Thank you for your response

jkhutchison09

Don't have the tire carrier option on mine but can say that the bumper is stout and well designed. Was a huge pita to install since the mounts that bolt to the side of the frame did not want to go all the way back but nothing a buddy and I couldn't handle after some force. Didn't want to go with the verzion II since the integrated hitch isn't "tow rated". I'm sure it's well constructed and would work just fine but didn't want to risk it.

wwood

Just had this bumper and tire carrier (RockBrawler II - linked version) delivered yesterday, arrived in huge box (149lbs according to UPS) plus small box with brackets/hardware. Beautiful and super beefy. Weighed the bumper parts separately - bumper 95lb, tire carrier 30lb. Brackets, mounting bolts, pivot bearings, link, etc, guessing about 5-10lbs, so total is about 130-135lb. Pivot bearings are plenty big and super nice (Timken) and the machining of the pivot itself and the bearing races is very precise, just outstanding workmanship. Mounting brackets and hardware also very beefy and well made. The integrated trailer hitch is definitely as strong, probably stronger, than the factory hitch I now have to remove. PSC did not get the hitch rated due to the high cost of that process.

The parts are pretty clean but will need prep work before painting. Will install over the next couple of days and let you know how that goes. Based on what I see this bumper and carrier are going to work out great.

wwood

A few pics

Before pics: Jeep the new PSC bumpers (front and rear) are going on - 2013 JKUR - fenders are off as I am chopping them into flat flares

DSC08321.jpg

Here are the boxes as delivered, the front Brawler Lite bumper is shipped bare - no box. PSC says shipping in a box would add too much to cost

DSC08282.jpg

Brackets/hardware

DSC08303.jpg

Rear bumper mostly out of packing box

DSC08306.jpg

Tire carrier out of box

DSC08309.jpg

Tire carrier pivot bearings

DSC08312.jpg

If all goes well, I will be installing these beauties over the next few days and will post some during and after pics as well.

ScottC

Before pics: Jeep the new PSC bumpers (front and rear) are going on - 2013 JKUR - fenders are off as I am chopping them into flat flares

View attachment 56813

Here are the boxes as delivered, the front Brawler Lite bumper is shipped bare - no box. PSC says shipping in a box would add too much to cost

View attachment 56808

Brackets/hardware

View attachment 56809

Rear bumper mostly out of packing box

View attachment 56810

Tire carrier out of box

View attachment 56811

Tire carrier pivot bearings

View attachment 56812

If all goes well, I will be installing these beauties over the next few days and will post some during and after pics as well.

Best of luck! That is odd they shipped the front bumper without a box. I received the Brawler Mid-Width in a box with a lot of expanding foam.

If you haven't bought the vacuum pump relocation kit, you might want to consider it. 4 of the 8 nuts on the front bumper weren't too bad (2 on each outer side). The two inside nuts on the passenger side were difficult. The bottom inside nut on the driver's side was extremely hard. I saw Jesus trying to get the last nut onto the bolt. I did NOT do the vacuum pump relocation kit. At one point, I thought my hand was stuck inside the bumper. I actually lost feeling in part of my hand from where I was jamming it into an impossibly small opening between the vacuum pump, frame, and bumper.

I will caveat all of that by saying that I tend to do things the hard way. Make sure you have different length ratchet extensions, elbow joints, and a Bible handy LOL. Seriously, good luck, and enjoy your new bumpers! I'm looking forward to the "After" pics.

wwood

A few during pics

Stock rear bumper off:

DSC08474.jpg

Test fit PSC bumper

DSC08484.jpg

Test fit: side view

DSC08488.jpg

Stock front bumper off:

DSC08494.jpg

Test fit PSC front bumper:

DSC08507.jpg

Now I need to drill 4 1" holes in the Jeep frame to mount rear bumper, ordered step drill bits from Amazon.
After final prefit, need to clean up parts, find powder coater (still trying to decide on color) then do the final install.

Don't need to remount vacuum pump, can just reach the bolts with a socket extension. The front bumper skid protects the pump and the sway bar disconnect motor very well. Do need to decide on front and rear fog/backup lights and do any necessary rewiring.

Yes the story about shipping the front bumper bare seemed a little odd to me too since the other stuff came in a box but the PSC guy said a box makes the part oversize and generates a higher shipping rate. I received no hardware pack or instructions with front bumper but bolts/nuts/washers are preinstalled on the bumper and install is obvious. The installation instructions for rear bumper talk about tapping in grease seals in the tire carrier pivot but no grease seals were included. Instructions may be outdated. Will call PSC for clarification.

Main thing is the bumpers look outstanding, fit well and went on easily working by myself. All the holes lined up well. They really look way better in person than in photos.
Will post some after pics when I get finished.

Edit: Found the grease seal. :) It was wrapped up with the pivot cap in white foam and I could not see it until I unwrapped it. PSC does have all their install sheets online so I don't need printed versions. This YouTube video is better anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SROHpKDazEM

Last edited:
Stock rear bumper off:

View attachment 56901

Test fit PSC bumper

View attachment 56902

Test fit: side view

View attachment 56898

Stock front bumper off:

View attachment 56899

Test fit PSC front bumper:

View attachment 56900

Now I need to drill 4 1" holes in the Jeep frame to mount rear bumper, ordered step drill bits from Amazon.
After final prefit, need to clean up parts, find powder coater (still trying to decide on color) then do the final install.

Don't need to remount vacuum pump, can just reach the bolts with a socket extension. The front bumper skid protects the pump and the sway bar disconnect motor very well. Do need to decide on front and rear fog/backup lights and do any necessary rewiring.

Yes the story about shipping the front bumper bare seemed a little odd to me too since the other stuff came in a box but the PSC guy said a box makes the part oversize and generates a higher shipping rate. I received no hardware pack or instructions with front bumper but bolts/nuts/washers are preinstalled on the bumper and install is obvious. The installation instructions for rear bumper talk about tapping in grease seals in the tire carrier pivot but no grease seals were included. Instructions may be outdated. Will call PSC for clarification.

Main thing is the bumpers look outstanding, fit well and went on easily working by myself. All the holes lined up well. They really look way better in person than in photos.
Will post some after pics when I get finished.

Looking great! Do you know if it's possible to have the new style rear bumper with the old carrier? I'd assume the spindle location is the same and all that is needed is the locking mechanism welded to the other side for the carrier

Heholua

Looking great! Do you know if it's possible to have the new style rear bumper with the old carrier? I'd assume the spindle location is the same and all that is needed is the locking mechanism welded to the other side for the carrier

From what I was told by PS, the spindles are in different places. I had a the Rockbrawler I bumper and ask if the linked carrier would work on it and they said no.

From what I was told by PS, the spindles are in different places. I had a the Rockbrawler I bumper and ask if the linked carrier would work on it and they said no.

Damn, that sucks. I like the old carrier but the new bumper.. Wonder what the cost would be to get that made..

wwood

ScottC,

You were right about the difficulty of getting the 4 front bumper inside mounting bolts on. I just did the second prefit with front skid fully attached and it is nearly impossible to get a wrench on those nuts, especially the top drivers side and top passenger side. The skid blocks most access to the inside mounting bolts but in the Rubicon, the sway bar disconnect motor is also in the way on the passenger side and the vacuum pump bracket is the problem as you noted on the driver's side. I almost got my hand stuck too. Not going to attempt those bolts until I have the bumper/skid painted and do the final install. I had to use an angle grinder to remove about 1/2" off the crash bar ends on both sides after which the bumper/skid fit perfectly. I think I can get the inside bolts on with a 3/8 drive ratchet and deep socket but it won't be easy.

Thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom