Sliders: Tube vs platform

ScottC

Anyone have specific pro's or con's regarding tube type sliders (e.g. EVO sliders, PSC Rocker Knockers, etc) versus platforms (e.g. PSC Brawler Rockers, Fab Fours, etc)? I am looking for specific reasons why you went with/are going with one style over the other.

Please note: I only gave those examples for reference. I am not asking for reasons to go with EVO over PSC. Thanks in advance!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I like the EVO ones because they are weld on to the frame. Makes them stronger then attaching to the body. If you find a weld on to the frame it's the best way to go if it's poison spider or EVO or someone else

Sent from my iPhone

Wittys-JK

Having bolt on sliders that I have rode hard and put away wet, I would also suggest a frame mount, bolt or weld, as mine mount where traditional Rubi sliders mount and I have managed to push them closer to the body. I am probably one good hit from contact so I am now thinking of rocker protection and that extra expense could have been avoided with the right type of body mount sliders. Search and read on you will learn a lot of peoples real life experiences with different brands and types that will help you make your choice.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I originally was going to go with either custom rubi rails with a step/slider, or the rocker/slider combo a few companies have, but then ended up just going with evo weld on since its frame mounted and a lot stronger. I also did the rocker guard they make as well just incase. If you are looking for more of a step kinda thing the lod is probably one of your best bets or go with the evo at the custom angle like steve (cozdude) has.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've seen the poison spider ones crush body panels from hits. On the rubicon this year someone dropped off a rock onto their rocker knockers and it pinched their body panel between the hinges on the driver door.

His response, "that sucks! As soon as I get home I'm ordering EVO sliders."

ScottC

This may sound dumb to some, but make sense to others...

I am worried about my dog getting in and out of the Jeep (2 door). I don't want her leg to get caught between the tube and the Jeep as she's getting in or out. Can anyone with EVO sliders and a dog comment on that?

Overlander, thanks for the example (despite my caveat in the OP LOL). It was a good example why bolt on body mounts aren't as good as weld on frame mounts. Good to know!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
This may sound dumb to some, but make sense to others...

I am worried about my dog getting in and out of the Jeep (2 door). I don't want her leg to get caught between the tube and the Jeep as she's getting in or out. Can anyone with EVO sliders and a dog comment on that?

Overlander, thanks for the example (despite my caveat in the OP LOL). It was a good example why bolt on body mounts aren't as good as weld on frame mounts. Good to know!

I've got the EVO sliders with the custom angle (Downward). My young children are able to use it as a step to get in the Jeep. My guess would be your dog could also.

JAGS

Hooked
What most will comment on is mounting location and type. As far as selecting... Think frame mount over body mount and weld on over bolt on. Lots of options, but usually the top end up being EVO sliders or the LOD bolt ons.

- Jason

ScottC

Thanks for the input. Those two are the finalists. I am leaning towards EVO for the strength, though. The dog will figure it out.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I was going to suggest the lod for your dog then. I may be wrong, but i think you can actually weld on the lod sliders as well if you want them even stronger than they are. I have a dog, sliders are not installed yet, but she cant jump in now anymore anyway after the lift and tires so i have to put her in.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I was going to suggest the lod for your dog then. I may be wrong, but i think you can actually weld on the lod sliders as well if you want them even stronger than they are. I have a dog, sliders are not installed yet, but she cant jump in now anymore anyway after the lift and tires so i have to put her in.

i believe you can weld on the LOD sliders. that may be a good choice then. dont they have a flat "platform" on the LOD's?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
sections have flat spots where the doors are i think.

yea your right i found this pic on project jk

LOD-4.jpg

ScottC

I talked to LoD, and they said their sliders work with bolt on skids. The slider is just bolted under (closest to the ground) the skid plates. So that is good to know.

Can anyone with EVO sliders take a top down picture so I can see the space between the Jeep and the slider tube itself?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I talked to LoD, and they said their sliders work with bolt on skids. The slider is just bolted under (closest to the ground) the skid plates. So that is good to know.

Can anyone with EVO sliders take a top down picture so I can see the space between the Jeep and the slider tube itself?

i have one of the custom angle.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379098874.121748.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379098874.121748.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 186
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379098863.240761.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379098863.240761.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 187

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

here is one of the normal slider angle

2012-04-20_14-29-42_820.jpg

bl17z90

Scott, I have the Evo sliders with custom angles and Wally jumps over them. Penelope gets put in the jeep unless she is going to sit in the back in which case she sometimes can make the jump.

The odds of a dog actually putting their foot on a slider is unlikely because of how narrow most of them are.

We can do a random meet and greet sometime soon half way between us if you want to see my sliders in person

The platform sliders are usually more of a step than the tub sliders are.

You can get the Lod sliders (platform style) and bolt them on and they are very strong, to the point where Eddie ran them for years, or you can even weld them on. StizzyChris did a good write up on the Lod sliders in his build thread if you want to look more into them

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?6825-Scorpicon-Build-Thread&p=96659&posted=1#post96659

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
ill find out this weekend, but still crazy how the normal angle looks like it almost touches the skins

Top Bottom