Sahara to Rubicon Axles - NEED ADVICE

JKFlyer

Hey all. I really could use some advice. So i have a 2010 JKU Sahara lifted 2.5 inches on 35's. Currently have 3.73 gears. I want to regear eventually but we all know that will cost about 1500-2000 all in. I am chipped but do notice I come out of 4th/overdrive alot. RPM's run in 1500-2500 range most of time. THis is good for mileage and jeep drives with power, but i am sure i am missing torque. Do not forget that I do not have lockers. I am mostly a city driver & highway. if i did regear, would probably go 4.56. I do not offroad much but would like to start,,,but feel i am lacking the setup b/c 1) I have a dana 30 upfront and 2) 3.73 gears i fear will not give me torque to pull out of a hairy situation.

So i can sleeve and gusset (Est 1000 total all in) and regear for a total cost of 2750 ish?

another option is i have a friend that will sell me his Rubi 44 axles. This is interesting to me bc after sale and install costs, i'd be around same 2750. Here i would get dana 44 front and rear with 4.10 gears and electronic lockers. I know lockers on my own would cost i think around 1500-2000 after install. They are complete up to and including knuckles. while some guys like air lockers and some electronic, it would be neat to have. I assume i can hook the lockers up to a switch on my daystar dash panel.

Another option is to get a prorock 44 but that will be 4 all in and just cover the front and still need to regear the back. ...no lockers either...probably around 5000. too much $$ and i am not that hardcore i think

SO, do you all think the rubi axles would be a good choice? remember, i am not an offroader, just want the option. If i get rubi axles, is the front dana 44 stronger where i won't need to gusset and sleeve? some people say yes it is stronger and some say its same as dana 30 just a bigger pumpkin.

Also, will 2011 rubi axles fit properly in to the 2010? both are JKU's. Someone told me the yolk (spelling?) may not be right?

I feel like's its a good rare oppy to get the rubi axles and need to decide very soon as I owe my friend an answer. Advice appreciated!

Mike (changed my screename to JKFlyer from MikeG - needed something more Jeep oriented!) :beer:

Atch

I would opt for the rubi axles, that's a pretty decent price for front and rear. Yes the rubi axles will fit your jeep. It would be highly recommended to weld on some gussets but the sleeves aren't necessary. You will need wiring for the lockers but yes it's a simple wiring setup. Other than that bolt them up and you're ready to wheel.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
For that price you can't go wrong with the rubicon axles. Beefier axles and lockers is a win win situation. The 4.10 gear ratio is actually very tolerable with 35s I ran like that for a year. You may also want to factor in some sort of programmer so that you can change the gear ratio in your computer.

JKbrick

I think the price is right, especially since you are honest enough with yourself to admit how you use your jeep those axles with gussets should do well for you

JKFlyer

Thanks guys. 4x4 - i have superchip traildash so I'm good to go in that respect!! Keep the advice coming everyone. So far consensus is positive...definitely helping!

Does anyone know if its a direct fit? Will I have Issues with driveshafts fitting properly?

Other risk is if this guy damaged anything that I'm not aware of, such as ring/pinion, but that is unlikely I suspect. I do trust him

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Atch

Thanks guys. 4x4 - i have superchip traildash so I'm good to go in that respect!! Keep the advice coming everyone. So far consensus is positive...definitely helping!

Does anyone know if its a direct fit? Will I have Issues with driveshafts fitting properly?

Other risk is if this guy damaged anything that I'm not aware of, such as ring/pinion, but that is unlikely I suspect. I do trust him

I switched out my sport axles for rubi axles and didn't have to change anything. Driveshafts bolted right up without issue.

JKFlyer

Atch - I'd be putting 2011 axles on my 2010 though and I know there were differences between these years...but maybe not with drivetrain

Atch

Atch - I'd be putting 2011 axles on my 2010 though and I know there were differences between these years...but maybe not with drivetrain

I have an '11, the rear axle came off a '10 or older and the front internals were from a '10 and the housing was from a '12. If you're that worried about the yokes compare your's to his. Should be the same.

suicideking

Get the Rubi axles!

You are getting a pretty good price + will end up with gears and lockers. I did an axle swap and just got the front for $1500 for just the Rubi D44 front of a '12. With install, sleeve and gusset, new diff cover I ended up paying around $2200. I didn't need to do the rear because the front I got was 3.73 and so is my rear.

The switches for the lockers are easy to connect. I think it's just a 12v wire wired to a $5 switch.

Top Bottom