Junk yard truck axles

RUBI4US

I am looking for ideas on upgrading my axles on a beer budget.

Ideally I would be ordering a pair of PR60's, but I didn't win the Powerball this week!

What should I be looking for at the local pick-a-part?

I am hoping to get set up for 40" tires in the not so distant future.

Most of the wheeling up here in Western Washington is mud or rocks.

Rubi is currently a bone stock 08 JKUR.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Wayalife mobile

I am looking for ideas on upgrading my axles on a beer budget.

Ideally I would be ordering a pair of PR60's, but I didn't win the Powerball this week!

What should I be looking for at the local pick-a-part?

I am hoping to get set up for 40" tires in the not so distant future.

Most of the wheeling up here in Western Washington is mud or rocks.

Rubi is currently a bone stock 08 JKUR.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Wayalife mobile

Google Dana 60 bible and this will give more information than you could ever want. What year to look for and why. I believe 1978/79 F350 axles are what you need. The junk yards know this and they have adjusted their prices as well. Along with getting the axles do not forget the cost to rebuild them and the new rims which you will have to get.

Good Luck.

R/
Will

dahreno

Banned
I was able to buy a front 60 and a 14 bolt for 1200.00. but they were chevy , and for an old jeep but , they are in great shape .Good luck

Elusive

Heres the real problem.
What do you want?
dana 60's with coil overs right?
so plan on a whole new suspension, 8 lug wheels, tires, hydro assist to turn the big meats, gears, lockers, axle shafts, driveshafts, new tie rod with larger ends, new drag link, new track bar, now the upper control arm is too high and hits the radiator or oil pan on compression so you either lift it more or limit flex or turn it into a 3 link. Also new ball joints, axle U joints, wheel bearing, hubs.
I've had both dynatrac and junk yard axles. Dynatrac axles break just like junk yard axles. I have the skills to cut and turn the axle C's and I set up my own gears and made my own brackets but I still had thousands into the junk yard axle. I really enjoy building axles so when I recently found a single rear wheel front ford 60 in a junkyard I bought it for my rubicon (for $300!) A year later I sold it because the jeep does everything I want it to now.

Now lets build a rear axle!

I'm saying plan on having near $20000 into either route. probably more.
if you do it all yourself plan on having $15000 into a rig that drives crappy.

CrazyLarry

Heres the real problem.
What do you want?
so plan on a whole new suspension, 8 lug wheels, tires, hydro assist to turn the big meats, gears, lockers, axle shafts, driveshafts, new tie rod with larger ends, new drag link, new track bar, now the upper control arm is too high and hits the radiator or oil pan on compression so you either lift it more or limit flex or turn it into a 3 link. Also new ball joints, axle U joints, wheel bearing, hubs.
I've had both dynatrac and junk yard axles. Dynatrac axles break just like junk yard axles. I have the skills to cut and turn the axle C's and I set up my own gears and made my own brackets but I still had thousands into the junk yard axle. I really enjoy building axles so when I recently found a single rear wheel front ford 60 in a junkyard I bought it for my rubicon (for $300!) A year later I sold it because the jeep does everything I want it to now.

What a nice little ray of sunshine you are :clap2::cheesy::crazyeyes:

David1tontj

Heres the real problem.
What do you want?

Hey now!!! I've had several people who've ridden in my rig tell me they were surprised how well it drives!! I do annual road trips down to California (1500 mile round trip) with it and never trailer it anywhere!

I cannot argue with all the other stuff.... And you forgot a longer pitman arm so you can have your full turning radius back! Haha

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Top Bottom