Loctite

Dr. Satan

I will be installing a 2.5" lift next week. I searched a couple of forums, should I use Loctite on any of the suspension bolts? I'm not seeing it mentioned in the lift instructions.
Thanks

jeeeep

Hooked
I wouldn't, if the Loctite sets too fast you won't be torqued accurately to specs. Also if you use to heavy duty Loctite it may require heat to remove then if you have to do any on trail repairs you'll hate yourself...

get a paint pen and mark your bolt/nut, you'll be able to see quickly if anything has loosened

jeffd

I would absolutely use locktite. I have been using lock tite for 40 years and never had a problem removing nuts and bolts that have been lock tited. Blue lock tite also acts like anti sieze as far as keeping nuts and bolts from corroding together so actually make them easier to remove when you want to yet keeps them together when you don't. a drop of red locktite keeps things secure and you will still be able to break it free if needed.

BBrown626

I would absolutely use locktite. I have been using lock tite for 40 years and never had a problem removing nuts and bolts that have been lock tited. Blue lock tite also acts like anti sieze as far as keeping nuts and bolts from corroding together so actually make them easier to remove when you want to yet keeps them together when you don't. a drop of red locktite keeps things secure and you will still be able to break it free if needed.

What he said.

Your probably not going to be doing a lot of suspension maintenance on the trail, unless things are coming loose.
I had problems with sway bar links coming loose after proper torquing. A drop of locktite fixed them once and for all. I am sure they will come off with a little extra oomph when i want them too. I used Honda's thread locker on some, but locktite brand on others.

Ok. Now we are 50/50 so I'm back to loctite or no loctite!

What it boils down to is this. This is your project and do what you think is best. For me I will not use loctite because I have not used it on aircfart for the past 25 years. Then again I will use new hardware with lock washers. Then I will torque strip everything for quick visual inspection to ensure nothing has moved.

So to me it boils down to do what you think is best.

R/
Will

BigJay

Definitely use it. You can always get the nuts off with it still, just doesn't let them loosen without mechanical force like a wrench or ratchet.
I have used it since day one and even after a year with a small lift on, I was able to pull everything apart to install a bigger lift with no problem

Top Bottom