Pros and cons body lift

Atch

Only pro is you can fit larger tires. Cons higher center of gravity, goofy gap between frame & body, doesn't help to clear obstacles.......
After wheeling in Moab this summer I wouldn't ever recommend a body lift. I had roughly 3" of suspension lift & 33's and 2 other JKU's had 3" of lift (combination of body & suspension) & 35's. The others were getting high centered and struggled where as I didn't have any of the issues they had.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I see that you've already gotten the answers you needed but, to add to the discussion just a bit:

Pros: Body lifts are dirt cheap and super easy to install. They will give you just a bit more clearance between your fenders and tires and that'll help with minor rubbing issues when running bigger tires.

Cons: A body lift will do nothing to improve your off road performance and if anything, will increase your center of gravity. It will also create a visible gap between the frame and body and that can look funky. If you have a manual, you will have shifting issues unless you cut or buy a solution to get round the shifter hole.

David1tontj

Also, sometimes they are required to fit non-stock drivetrains such as with an atlas transfer case or similar setup.. That's the only time I would ever consider one..

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Also, sometimes they are required to fit non-stock drivetrains such as with an atlas transfer case or similar setup.. That's the only time I would ever consider one..

Only on a TJ but yup, that or if you want to install a good belly up skid. I did that on my old TJ.

LittleD-Tj

I'm gonna run a 1" body lift to help with rubbing but also doing the 1" motor mount lift to help with drivetrain and not have to worry about shifting issues. I don't mind 1" looks just hate 2" and over

Newbeme

An advantage to having a small body lift here in the Mid West is it makes hosing the mud out of things under the body a little easier.

David1tontj

An advantage to having a small body lift here in the Mid West is it makes hosing the mud out of things under the body a little easier.

But.... If there wasn't a gap in the fender well, then the mud wouldn't get in there right?? Idk??

David1tontj

Hell no, mud gets in regardless.... I think this is the only acceptable pro listed....:crazyeyes:

I'll buy that!! Never had one so I don't know for sure... I've just heard that your engine gets nasty muddy with the gap in the flare.

Army_Vet

Banned
I'll buy that!! Never had one so I don't know for sure... I've just heard that your engine gets nasty muddy with the gap in the flare.

Oh trust me; i'm not saying a body lift is a good idea, im just saying that not putting on a body lift will keep less mud out is negligible

Newbeme

By no means was I saying it was to keep mud out, but the small gap makes it a little easier to wash out the mud after wheeling on a sloppy day. Would I install one just for that reason, no.

Top Bottom