Optima Yellow Top Battery

DMFNJ24601

I it has come time where I may need a new battery for my 2012 JKU Sport. I was curious to know which Optima Yellow Top would best fit the bill since Optima doesn't list the Wrangler in the pull down for the Jeep makes. I am running 2 pairs of Rigid D2 Dualys and a Warn VR10000 winch.

There is a battery thread where someone mentioned a diehard platinum battery was a better choice for the JK. I cannot find it right now but will try and locate it.

biggy

There is a battery thread where someone mentioned a diehard platinum battery was a better choice for the JK. I cannot find it right now but will try and locate it.

Yes its a rebranded odyssey battery. Its what I run and has been great so far.

GCM 2

Optima (pick any color top) is no longer the battery it was once hailed to be. I stopped running them a few years ago for the same reason most guys switch from optimas to anything else; Optimas do not hold charges, they just don't last, in fact I'm replacing this one today on my trailer (runs the electric jack and Warn M8000 winch) for the same Diehard Platinum P1 34/500031 that I run in my JK. This Optima is brand new and was on a Battery Tender and still went bad. image-1779601310.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Optima (pick any color top) is no longer the battery it was once hailed to be. I stopped running them a few years ago for the same reason most guys switch from optimas to anything else; Optimas do not hold charges, they just don't last, in fact I'm replacing this one today on my trailer (runs the electric jack and Warn M8000 winch) for the same Diehard Platinum P1 34/500031 that I run in my JK. This Optima is brand new and was on a Battery Tender and still went bad. View attachment 56877

Yup, what he said. Once upon a time, Optima's were great batteries and they were all that I would ever run. Now, I only run DieHard Platinum's or Odyssey

GCM 2

Are your Diehards top and side post?
There is a specific version that can be found, basically the same Diehard, but I think has a different stock number and is a 'marine' application. The first Platinum series I bought years ago (2009?) had side post, then another one I bought recently did not have them and I didn't catch it until I had installed it and used it for awhile.

Edit: not sure if it is a marine application that has side post. I would just do a better job than I did when you go to buy.

Below is "an" example and not the exact P 1. And as I believe Wayolife found out recently, jeeps with the 3.6L Pentastar take a different series Platinum than the 3.8L 2007-2010 JKs.

image-266397843.jpg

Last edited:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
There is a specific version that can be found, basically the same Diehard, but I think has a different stock number and is a 'marine' application. The first Platinum series I bought years ago (2009?) had side post, then another one I bought recently did not have them and I didn't catch it until I had installed it and used it for awhile.

Do you recommend marine or just the automotive style? I'm going to add the Quadretec battery terminals down the road for my accessories as well to clean up my connections at the battery.

GCM 2

Do you recommend marine or just the automotive style? I'm going to add the Quadretec battery terminals down the road for my accessories as well to clean up my connections at the battery.

See my edit above, I think you can find a standard automotive P1 with side posts. I would not necessarily recommend a Marine deep cycle over the standard automotive battery. We don't tend to use our jeep's battery in the same capacity as a trolling motor uses a deep cycle.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
See my edit above, I think you can find a standard automotive P1 with side posts. I would not necessarily recommend a Marine deep cycle over the standard automotive battery. We don't tend to use our jeep's battery in the same capacity as a trolling motor uses a deep cycle.

Thanks for the advice!:thumb:

DMFNJ24601

I ended up with a Diehard AGM battery for now. Couldn't get the one that I had to hold a charge. It came with a 36mos warranty through Sears. Gives me time to do some further research and look into the Odysseys.

While on this note, the battery that died was the one that came from the dealer. I bought it towards the end of Feb 2012, is it odd for a battery to go bad in barely 21 mos?

Top Bottom