Compressor

CaliCrusher

Tired of driving on 19 psi looking for a gas station to air up, so it's time to get a compressor. I used my friends ARB and it was ok. The only thing is, it was a little slow and it cut out a few times. Could have been that it was a little older. Are there better options for that price? Are Viair compressors noticeably better?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Every compressor I have seen overheats if used for long periods and is mounted under the hood. (ARB and viair, different models of both) Either are good for 35's but when you go bigger its too much for them. I have a viair and it works fine. Yesterday it filled my 4 35's and 2 37's with no issues.

CaliCrusher

Every compressor I have seen overheats if used for long periods and is mounted under the hood. (ARB and viair, different models of both) Either are good for 35's but when you go bigger its too much for them. I have a viair and it works fine. Yesterday it filled my 4 35's and 2 37's with no issues.

Ok thanks, that helps. What constitutes a "fill"? 15psi up to 28psi?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

rtguy1

My arb is for my lockers only. Don't wanna run it like crazy filling tires. I have a 10lb co2 tank that is great. I'm drinking beer while everyone else is still airing up. Fast as hell View attachment 56872

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My arb is for my lockers only. Don't wanna run it like crazy filling tires. I have a 10lb co2 tank that is great. I'm drinking beer while everyone else is still airing up. Fast as hell View attachment 56872

True it does air up faster but there are cons as well. What if you run out of air? If a compressor overheats you just have to wait if you run out your out. Also the cost of the unit and filling it every time and the time it takes to get it filled. I have gone out every weekend for the last 5 weeks. I don't want to go get it filled every week.

But it does work fast. Both toons have upsides and downsides. Another option is the warn powerplant which will give you a winch as well.

CaliCrusher

True it does air up faster but there are cons as well. What if you run out of air? If a compressor overheats you just have to wait if you run out your out. Also the cost of the unit and filling it every time and the time it takes to get it filled. I have gone out every weekend for the last 5 weeks. I don't want to go get it filled every week.

But it does work fast. Both toons have upsides and downsides. Another option is the warn powerplant which will give you a winch as well.

I just got the Zeon, so it looks like I'll pick up the either the ARB or viair 400h like you have. For $190 the Viair looks like a pretty good deal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

rtguy1

Very true. I pay between $12-15 to get it filled. There is a beverage shop minutes away that does it for me. Get like maybe 4-5 fills out of it depending on how much i air down. Usually 12-15 psi up to 28psi on 37's. I don't run out though cuz u can tell how much co2 is left by the weight of the bottle. It's definitely not for everyone. I wanted my arb to be strictly for my lockers.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I just happen to be into street trucks as well as jeeps, don't own a street truck anymore, but had a bagged S-10 at one time. The Viair compressors are one of the most popular compressors in the custom truck scene. It may help to run a reserve tank also, nothing big 3-5 gallon, mounting it would be the only issue. If you don't run a reserve tank, I'd get a 100% duty cycle compressor, that way it will be more efficient and won't need down time while inflating the tires.

Serg5000

I run 37" Toyo's and air down from 32psi to about 15 psi for wheelin. I installed an ARB twin air compressor under the hood. I have aired up all my four 37's and my sons 35's in temps around 90F and it never shut off. The hood was also closed during this time. The air up time on each 37 is between 2 and 2 1/2 minutes per tire. A little less on the 35's. Not terrible. But not great either. One thing I believe helps the twin ARB is it has a built in fan to assist in cooling.

I spoke to a jeep shop that sells both the ARB and VAIR and he said the VAIR has over heating issues worse than the ARB. He has stopped selling the VAIR for that reason. I also asked about adding a tank. He said it was rather pointless because as soon as you deplete the tank you have to stop and let it refill again. Made sense. Wish I would have asked before buying the tank online. Any way. On board air systems are not going to fill your tires as fast as a C02 tank. Those setups crank man. You can fill four tires in no time. The reason I decided to buy an onboard system was I got tired of having to refill the tank. And with 37's that doesn't take long. That's what got me away from the bottle.

I figured that no matter how fast I fill my tires, I just stand around talking to other still filling theirs. So I really dont have to be in a hurry after all. Going from a tank to onboard air cost me about 10 additional minutes in airing up. Not bad in my book. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Elusive

A York.
I keep preaching it, but no one listens.
look into a york compressor.
much faster than ANY electric, last forever, 100% duty cycle, don't need a tank.
no draw backs at all.
air up a 35 as fast as the valve lets the air in at 100 psi.

Jiffy05

A York.
much faster than ANY electric, last forever, 100% duty cycle, don't need a tank.
no draw backs at all.

If I am reading correctly about those they need to be installed to the engine? If so that would be kind of hard to regulate CFM on a JK. It would work great for something that doesn't have an electronic throttle on it.

Serg5000

A York.
no draw backs at all.

It's not that people don't listen. The York kits aren't cheap. I looked into that and could not justify spending the money. For me a little patients saved me a lot of money.

07sgt0720

A York.
no draw backs at all.

I agree. I'm not sure what they cost or what all is involved in installing one on a jk, but I did have a York engine driven compressor on one of my bagged s-10s. It would fill my 12 gallon tank from almost empty to 180psi in under 30 seconds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Elusive

If I am reading correctly about those they need to be installed to the engine? If so that would be kind of hard to regulate CFM on a JK. It would work great for something that doesn't have an electronic throttle on it.

No. There is a pressure switch that activates the clutch and keeps a constant pressure at any RPM.
I have one on my 2011 JK.
It was $479 total with tax and shipping for everything. It's not much more than the twin ARB or big viair and you only do it once.
it took about 3 hours to install.
It produces 3x the CFM of the largest VIAIR.

Jiffy05

No. There is a pressure switch that activates the clutch and keeps a constant pressure at any RPM.
I have one on my 2011 JK.
It was $479 total with tax and shipping for everything. It's not much more than the twin ARB or big viair and you only do it once.
it took about 3 hours to install.
It produces 3x the CFM of the largest VIAIR.

Oh ok thanks.

I guess for some people they just like the simplicity of electric compressors. That york compressor does seem like a very good option if you have big tires or need to use air tools on the trail. I would be interested in see how you have that thing mounted on your jeep.

Top Bottom