Mud Grapplers

JayKay

Caught the Bug
How many miles are you getting on your Mud Grapplers? I'm running 315/70R17 ATs right now, want to go to MTs for my next set. I'm a tire salesman/service writer at a tire and auto shop so I've seen what people are getting on the grapplers on their 1/2 to 1-ton trucks, but we haven't put any sets on JKs that I can remember. I do some mild wheeling, mostly wanting them for looks and better traction when I do wheel. My JK is daily driven 25-30 miles a day.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
How many miles are you getting on your Mud Grapplers? I'm running 315/70R17 ATs right now, want to go to MTs for my next set. I'm a tire salesman/service writer at a tire and auto shop so I've seen what people are getting on the grapplers on their 1/2 to 1-ton trucks, but we haven't put any sets on JKs that I can remember. I do some mild wheeling, mostly wanting them for looks and better traction when I do wheel. My JK is daily driven 25-30 miles a day.

I love my mud grapplers and a bunch of guys run them on here. Only had them for about 6k so far but seem to be wearing well. I'm sure I will get a good amount out of them

Sent from my iPhone

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Not to be that guy that changes the topic in your thread but you are talking the mud grappler not trail grappler? I just recently switched from a Falken A/T to a Nitto Trail Grappler and I'm loving them ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384741845.926242.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384741862.493577.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384741720.919191.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384741720.919191.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 361

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have 14,000 on mine and they still look good. I have a brand new spare (after a replacement) so I will take some pics tomorrow for you if I remember.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Not the best pictures but its all I could get quick. I have 15k not 14k on them.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384813402.063836.jpg

Brand new spare

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384813428.283625.jpg

At least 75% left. I am also in a lighter two door though. Four doors will wear out quicker.

Jk-RAGE

Love mine. The self cleaning is awesome. Great traction and at 35psi on my 2door they ride great and are wearing even. I picked them up from a guy who put 7k on them in his ford f250 king cab and I've put 3k on them and they still have half or more tread. Their E rated so on a two door they will prob dry rot before you wear them out lmao. Beast of a tire.

Sergeant_A

yea I realize theres alot of variables and it wouldnt be the same for everyone. I was just interested how much they affected the gas mileage. I saw one post from Eddie where he said something to the effect of switching to the Falkens netted him 4-5 MPG increase over the mud grapps if I recall correctly. Again I understand lots of variables but just curious.

bl17z90

yea I realize theres alot of variables and it wouldnt be the same for everyone. I was just interested how much they affected the gas mileage. I saw one post from Eddie where he said something to the effect of switching to the Falkens netted him 4-5 MPG increase over the mud grapps if I recall correctly. Again I understand lots of variables but just curious.

The mud grapplers have a very aggressive tread pattern so that is going to hurt your gas milage a little bit. They are also heavier which will do it as well. 3 tires all in the same size, a mud tire, an all terrain tire, and a street tire will all get different milage. Street beeing the best mud being the worst, because of how the tread is shaped on the tire.

Sergeant_A

yep I'm aware of that...its like when I put my Weld RTS 18s on my Supercharged Camaro I dyno 634rwhp compared to 607rwhp on my 22's I use for DD. I was hoping for the person I asked about the mileage would throw out a comparasion such as last set of tires compared to this set if he had the same size.

Wittys-JK

I am on my 3rd set of Mud Grapplers only because I went from 33's to 35's and sold my first set with 30% left on them. The second set got sold with my previous wheels and now I have my latest set with new wheels. Yes the tires are heavy and yes they are a little loud but I like the way they perform off road and the self cleaning is a plus in Florida. The tires are wearing well and I run them at 30-35psi on the road and 8-10psi when wheeling.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

We haven't had a chance to drive our white JK much lately but, when we were, it looked like we could easily get about 40k or more out of them.

Off all the tires you can run, Mud Grapplers will have some of the most rolling resistance and they will effect your MPG as you have seen me note before. If MPG is your need, running a street like tread is what you want.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I run the Cooper AT3 right now. Main reason I put them on is I don't do a whole lot of wheeling, figured they would do what I needed them to do. I'm a big Cooper tire fan and the shop I work at sells Cooper tires as their #1 tire. But the wheeling I do, I've had to take different lines to keep from getting stuck. I want to put a tire on for my next set where off road traction won't be an issue, especially since I don't have lockers or a winch (YET). Thinking I'll probably go with the Trail Grappler or comparible M/T, due to the amount of highway driving I do. Need to find a happy medium between wheeling and highway driving. Mpg isn't much of a concern, wouldn't have lifted it with 35s if it was, but I know some people who commute still take fuel economy into consideration when choosing their tires.

merkush

I have a set of 35's. I have about 43k on them now and they still have some wear left on them. But I will be replacing them in the next 5-10k miles. Had them for about 2 years.

suicideking

Seems like you would be better off with the Trail Grapplers instead of the Mud Grapplers. For mild wheeling and DD, you might not like the loudness of the mud grappler. I wheel pretty often and wouldn't consider the Mud Grappler until the Jeep is no longer my DD.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Seems like you would be better off with the Trail Grapplers instead of the Mud Grapplers. For mild wheeling and DD, you might not like the loudness of the mud grappler. I wheel pretty often and wouldn't consider the Mud Grappler until the Jeep is no longer my DD.

I'm leaning more towards the Trail Grappler anyway. Don't think the noise would bother me, but I'm sure it would get to my wife, especially if they're $300+ a tire, she wouldn't be happy. Think I'm either gonna go with the Trail Grappler or Toyo M/T.

suicideking

I'm leaning more towards the Trail Grappler anyway. Don't think the noise would bother me, but I'm sure it would get to my wife, especially if they're $300+ a tire, she wouldn't be happy. Think I'm either gonna go with the Trail Grappler or Toyo M/T.

Makes sense, both are great tires.

Top Bottom