Horrible rubbing/grinding noise when backing up.....

AMEChambers

Hello all! Relatively new to this forum but was sure to leave my other jk home when it turned into a advertising robot..... My jku is intermittently making this god awful noise when I turn left in reverse. I'm thinking it could possible be my shock going out. Since this gripe is so intermittent I haven't been able to duplicate it while observing outside the vehicle. My question: Is there anything else in the rear end that y'all could think of besides a worn shock?

bl17z90

Can you tell of its coming from the front or rear? Seems like if it happens when turning it should be something on the front end.

Sent from my phone?

AMEChambers

That's why I'm so confused because it's 100% rear.... And only when backing up to the left. I do have coil spacers in the rear but they are in place and do not appear to be moving or sliding around.

pvanweelden

Could be parking brake pads adjusted too tight (would make more grinding in reverse), or a seized caliper, but turning would not necessarily effect either of those

seanb123

Could be parking brake pads adjusted too tight (would make more grinding in reverse), or a seized caliper, but turning would not necessarily effect either of those

I agree but adding on if you turn it add more resistance to the tired espically bigger one but if the same engine power is being transferred it would move slower and if the break is stuck it could cause it. First thing I would do is check breaks and calipers

David1tontj

Possibly your rear brakes? (Parking brake).
Edit:pvanweeldin beat me to it!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

AMEChambers

Copy. I will check the brakes ASAP. A noise this loud I would think a slipping pad would be leaving marks on my rotor.. The rotors are relatively new and without any unusual marks. It just seems to me that in only happens when left shock is compressing. Good excuse to still get new shocks wether it fixes it or not! Thanks for the input.

David1tontj

It doesn't sound/feel like its in the drivetrain does it? Sometimes lockers can do weird things in reverse.... (Not saying that's what it is, just throwing out ideas)

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

AMEChambers

It really sound like a rubbing sound more than anything. I'm just going to make my wife back out every time while I observe for myself. Brake pads seem fine, all four retaining clips are in caliper, coil spacer is in tact.

godkorg

Omg my 2008 JkU dies the exact same thing lol same side and all!

4" lift 35" tires I always assumed it's my tires rubbing?

09blackruby

It really sound like a rubbing sound more than anything. I'm just going to make my wife back out every time while I observe for myself. Brake pads seem fine, all four retaining clips are in caliper, coil spacer is in tact.

Any chance it could be your rear track bar rubbing on your spring? Mine are very close since my lift. Long shot but ya never know.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I see that you're running 35's, is it safe to assume that you trimmed your pinch seam after you installed them? Backing up while turning left will cause your Jeep to lean in that direction and assuming your axle isn't completely centered, can cause your tread to make contact with it on that side. Until or unless you do this often, you will not see visible signs of this on your tread but you may see evidence of it on the corner of your pinch seam.

Tigrcky

just a tidbit about the parking brake, you could have the drum style inside a disc rotor, you could pull the parking brake a little bit and see if it duplicates the noise while driving it but the best is just a visual inspection on EVERYTHING that can turn and make contact with something that does not turn. its a lot of work but you will eventually find the problem, I agree with eddie the pinch seem is a good thing to look at, also tracking bars are good to look at you will see fresh rubbing marks on it. best of luck!:thumb:

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
Dust your pinch seem area and fender liner with baby powder. Should be able to locate where it rubs if that's the case pretty quickly.

AMEChambers

Looks like it's the pinch seem! Thanks for all the inputs! Gonna trim it when my new shocks come in... Wife will think the shocks fixed the issue and I have new parts! Win win

09blackruby

This is probably not your issue due to having aftermarket wheels with I'm guessing proper backspacing. With my lift before I added wheel spacers my swaybar link was almost touching my rim on one side. Just one more thing to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AMEChambers

Not yet exactly. Adjustable Rancho Shocks in the mail.. I haven't experienced it since I sprayed my shock with white lithium grease.. I've been running RC 2.0 shocks for three years now. I'm pretty sure it was coming from that.

GTMOSCUBA

Same symptom on my 2010 UR, took a closer look & turns out it's rubbing the pinch seam. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385163846.114151.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385163870.432594.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom