Casting sand

4Low

I searched and read about this and have some questions. Jeep is a2012 with 29k. Noticed problem when i found no heat a couple weeks ago. I have been waiting to get into the dealership for a week. Was reading tonight and radiator and overflow bottle are full of sludge and radiators low, coolant bottles empty. What all will they replace? How do i get them to actually fix this for good?

4Low

Anyone? I have to drop it off at 7am and could use some of your advice if this has happened to you.

JKbrick

Your pic looks like your radiator is full of mud with oil in it. Good luck. If you have an aftermarket cai take it off before you go in

4Low

Thanks. It hasnt ever been in the mud only off roading its done has been a few days in moab so im not sure what it is. I dont have a cold air intake or any engine mods but thanks for the advice.

MurderedJK

This is very interesting... I can't even think of a possible other than a lose hose or rad cap being intstalled correctly. Good luck and keep us updated!

jhires

Off hand that looks and sounds more like a blown head gasket. When oil gets into the cooling system it turns into a brown-tan sludge. Check your oil as well and see if it is turning tan. A compression test would be in order as well.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I thought another member here had the same issue about a year ago. He has a red two door from Canada. Can't think of his name though.

Sergeant_A

Off hand that looks and sounds more like a blown head gasket. When oil gets into the cooling system it turns into a brown-tan sludge. Check your oil as well and see if it is turning tan. A compression test would be in order as well.

Post #5 he said oil was clean? :thinking:

David1tontj

Sometimes you can actually smell the antifreeze In The exhaust with a blown head gasket... It's a very sweet smell that is not normal.. I've worked on a Chevy pickup that had a blown head gasket and there was no antifreeze in The oil (that I could see).

I hope that's not the case for you, but it's something to think about.

The dealer should run a test to determine if it is a head gasket or not.

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

4Low

Update: its at the dealership and they confirmed the cooling system is full of clay type material. They say its bad water from mexico????? This dealer has fixed one other 2012 with the same issue and many other chrysler 200's with the same problem. So they are changing out the radiator, coolant resevoir and the heater core. They tried flushing it first and got a bunch of it out that they told me amounted to the size of a baseball not to mention the handfull that is stuck in the overflow bottle but they cant get it all out. Not real happy about the issue but happy with the dealerships performance thus far. Im a little OCD about my vehicles and one thats been tore apart by someone other than me kinda makes me sick. I wont be able to fight the inevitable i will have to unload this thing once its fixed cause now its tainted. I love the jeep but not real sure im comfortable buying one again. I will update this again once i get it back, they are telling me i may have it back in 3 days.....

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
This dealer has fixed one other 2012 with the same issue and many other chrysler 200's with the same problem. So they are changing out the radiator, coolant resevoir and the heater core. They tried flushing it first and got a bunch of it out that they told me amounted to the size of a baseball not to mention the handful that is stuck in the overflow bottle but they cant get it all out. Not real happy about the issue but happy with the dealerships performance thus far.
I won’t be able to fight the inevitable i will have to unload this thing once its fixed cause now its tainted.

Sounds like the dealer is doing everything right for you … why all the anxiety over the Jeep? Sounds a little too CDO (alphabetically correct) to me.

4Low

Seems like their quality control is lacking a little to me if something like this happens quite often. Idk when you have say $40 something thousand dollars in a vehicle and its in the dealer being torn apart it doesnt give you much confidence. Probably just me though.

JKbrick

I looked and you are from Iowa and Jeeps are born in Toledo, Ohio so how would it get water from Mexico in it? Aren't all jeeps from Ohio?

4Low

Brick that was what i thought too. My guess is something in the coolant passages from manufacturing never was flushed out nobody seems to have a solid root cause that ive heard.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Its leftover casting sand from the heater core. Chrysler is fully aware of the problem. Dealer will replace your heater core, but unfortunately, they need to tear the entire dash apart to get it out.

JKbrick

Are heater cores cast aluminum? I always assumed they were like a little radiator. My line of thought was casting sand from the block must collect in the heater core, learned something new today

Top Bottom