Cam phaser noise?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Anyone notice a spark knock type noise under load at 1,500-2,500 RPM? Talked to a Chrysler tech at my local dealer, he said try running 5w20 instead of 5w30. I change the oil every 5,000 miles with Valvoline Synpower. He said they've had people complaining of the noise, but it hasn't caused any real issues, just annoying. They believe the noise is related to the cam phasers. He suggested switching oil weight due to the 2013-2014 3.6 requiring 5w20 over 5w30. Anyone else experience the same issues, if so, any solutions?

my 2012 ticks always haha had driver head replaced made that side perfect passenger still tick but cuz no check engine light techs say she is perfectly normal mmhmm normal my ass

good luck probably just have to live with it.

first thing that did on mine was dummy down the phasers or something they said with a chrysler computer flash... the 3.6 makes power but doesnt seem to reliable yet to new not like those old 4L they go and go and go knocking and burning oil and still going haha

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I know my build date is 04/12, so I know the head issue won't apply to mine. I do have quite a bit of ticking, I know most of the noise is injector pulse and some valve train noise. The noise I'm experiencing is a low tone rattle, it sounds exactly like spark knock (detonation), only under a load. My JK is a six speed manual, automatics may not experience this.

CrazyLarry

I know my build date is 04/12, so I know the head issue won't apply to mine. I do have quite a bit of ticking, I know most of the noise is injector pulse and some valve train noise. The noise I'm experiencing is a low tone rattle, it sounds exactly like spark knock (detonation), only under a load. My JK is a six speed manual, automatics may not experience this.

Why do you feel the head issue wont apply to you? Is it for only certain periods of time in 2012 or something? My build date is in March 2012 so curious myself if im vulnerable to the head issue

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I don't really want this thread going in the wrong direction. The noise I'm talking about has nothing to do with the cylinder head issue, I know what the Pentastars with the head problem sounded like and it's not the same noise nor does my engine make noise at idle like the ones with the head problem. The ones with the head problem were built in late 2011 as early 2012 models, most of the issues were cleared up by the end of 2011. If you're curious about the head problem, I'm sure there's a thread somewhere you can read up on.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I am more or less seeing if anyone has had the noise I'm referring to and if changing oil grades made a difference or not before I worry about switching to 5w20.

CrazyLarry

I don't really want this thread going in the wrong direction. The noise I'm talking about has nothing to do with the cylinder head issue, I know what the Pentastars with the head problem sounded like and it's not the same noise nor does my engine make noise at idle like the ones with the head problem. The ones with the head problem were built in late 2011 as early 2012 models, most of the issues were cleared up by the end of 2011. If you're curious about the head problem, I'm sure there's a thread somewhere you can read up on.

sorry bout that :D

When i was going dealer to dealer about my ticking the one shop forman (engine guru) said there was a known issue for the 3.6 having early detonation, the problem he claims was spark plug gap incorrect from factory on some motors, but mine wasnt that issue mine ended up being the head, maybe this is what you are having? not sure but sounds similar to what you are saying! but mine is auto so yeah probably different

Top Bottom