Tin Like Rattle/ Grinding On Startup

chasAZmtbr

My 2008 2dr has been making an annoying rattle for a while now. I always assumed it was something simple like a loose heat shied but I haven't been able to find anything wrong with the heat shields on the exhaust. It lasts about 10 sec when I first start the Jeep and then stops and happens again when I first accelerate then it's gone. Seems like it goes away when the Jeep is warmed up. :thinking: I'll post a video clip of the sound. Have any ideas what it could be?

Sounds to me like you have an idler pully bearing going bad. Try hitting the bearing with some lubricant to see if it goes away. Do one at a time as process of elimination. Once you find the one causing the noise you will know which one to replace.

R/
Will

Serg5000

Check the thin steel plate or heat cover they weld onto the exhaust. It's on the cross tube. I believe it's just in front of the t case. Mine was doing that. I just got under there and dropped some weld on it. Problem solved.

Army_Vet

Banned
It sounds like something is hitting the Flywheel teeth!

Almost as if the starter solenoid is re engaging for some reason.

Is it the exact same every time? To have the starter engage on its own is quite odd. Stranger things have happened.

It definitely sounds like something hitting the flywheel teeth to me

chasAZmtbr

Sounds to me like you have an idler pully bearing going bad. Try hitting the bearing with some lubricant to see if it goes away. Do one at a time as process of elimination. Once you find the one causing the noise you will know which one to replace.

R/
Will

How do you lube the idler pulley? And is there a specific lubricant I should use? After doing some more research it looks like this should be a cheap and easy piece to replace. Thanks for the advice

Moochie

How do you lube the idler pulley? And is there a specific lubricant I should use? After doing some more research it looks like this should be a cheap and easy piece to replace. Thanks for the advice

Mine was squeaking and I used some dry lube to quiet it down.

chasAZmtbr

It sounds like something is hitting the Flywheel teeth!

Almost as if the starter solenoid is re engaging for some reason.

Is it the exact same every time? To have the starter engage on its own is quite odd. Stranger things have happened.

It definitely sounds like something hitting the flywheel teeth to me

It happens every time I start the jeep after it's cooled down for a few hours. If something was hitting the fly wheel teeth wouldn't the sound be constant?

Army_Vet

Banned

What you would do is with it running. Spray some lube on the face of each pulley. If the noise goes away then that's the bad one. I would replace it.
But unless everyone else is hearing a different video than I am, its not a pulley. Its too loud. It sounds like its the flywheel hitting something to me

Army_Vet

Banned
It happens every time I start the jeep after it's cooled down for a few hours. If something was hitting the fly wheel teeth wouldn't the sound be constant?

Yes I think it would be.... that's why this is so odd.

My advise..... get under the jeep and have someone start it. With your hand on the bell housing you will be able to tell

chasAZmtbr

What you would do is with it running. Spray some lube on the face of each pulley. If the noise goes away then that's the bad one. I would replace it.
But unless everyone else is hearing a different video than I am, its not a pulley. Its too loud. It sounds like its the flywheel hitting something to me
I'll try to get a better video (under the hood) with better audio

mjbjw

Do you have any aftermarket skid plates?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Army_Vet

Banned
Unfortunately no. I checked the exhaust again and still found nothing and haven't had a chance to try lubing the idler pulley. Hopefully I'll get a chance to take a look at it this weekend

Im sorry but if you had a pulley making that sound it would have completely failed by now and left you on the side of the road

JK-JOHN-E

I had what sounded like the same thing after I had my 2'' BB installed. The sway bar was barely touching the exhaust. Sound would happen at start up and when first moving then would go away...THE SOLUTION was slightly longer exhaust brackets/hangers. Hope this helps.:thumb:

mrmet1983

Hear shield is what it sounds like to me

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

chasAZmtbr

sorry for not responding for so long. Still no new update on the sound. Still there but I've just learned to ignore it :grayno:

Briguy114

I had something similar on my 07. Ended up having to drop the factory skid to find it. Broken weld on a heat shield. New weld and the sound was gone

Top Bottom