2012 Check Engine Code

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Got my first MIL yesterday. My 2012 JKUR seems to be running fine but I'd like to read the trouble code and figure out what's going on. I tried the 3 cycles of the ignition key to no avail. Do the 2012+ models use a different method to get the codes?:thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Got my first MIL yesterday. My 2012 JKUR seems to be running fine but I'd like to read the trouble code and figure out what's going on. I tried the 3 cycles of the ignition key to no avail. Do the 2012+ models use a different method to get the codes?:thinking:

Uses the same trick. Turn your key on and off without starting your motor 3 times and at the end of the 3rd, you should get a code if one exists. It'll say "DONE" when it's finished checking.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Uses the same trick. Turn your key on and off without starting your motor 3 times and at the end of the 3rd, you should get a code if one exists. It'll say "DONE" when it's finished checking.

Thx for quick response. I saw you were on line so I knew you'd answer. Must be doing something wrong 'cause I've still got the MIL and no code or "done". Gotta be operator error.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thx for quick response. I saw you were on line so I knew you'd answer. Must be doing something wrong 'cause I've still got the MIL and no code or "done". Gotta be operator error.

You don't want to go all the way to the OFF position - you just want to cycle between the ON and just one click back in 3 quick successions leaving it on the ON position on the last turn.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
AWRIGHT! Took me a few tries to get the rhythm and get it right. It flashed me the "done" code but the MIL stayed on. Probably some other minor electrical gremlin. It's still under warranty so the dealer gets it Monday. Thx again Eddie.:thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Glad to hear you got it finally. Being that you're still under warranty, definitely take it to your dealership and have them figure it out.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Update. Just returned from the dealer and my JK started running intermittently rough on the way down. Oh,oh, I know what that means. Anyway, the service advisor told me the reason I couldn't get the computer to give me the fault code is 2012+ JK's won't do it anymore. Too many amateur mechanics trying to self diagnose and repair problems. That's news to me and open for debate. So what trouble code did the tech get on mine? Cylinder head. What is the code for that? He showed it to me and it looks sorta like this. U B FKD! Three weeks to get the new head in. Sigh!:grayno:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Update. Just returned from the dealer and my JK started running intermittently rough on the way down. Oh,oh, I know what that means. Anyway, the service advisor told me the reason I couldn't get the computer to give me the fault code is 2012+ JK's won't do it anymore. Too many amateur mechanics trying to self diagnose and repair problems. That's news to me and open for debate. So what trouble code did the tech get on mine? Cylinder head. What is the code for that? He showed it to me and it looks sorta like this. U B FKD! Three weeks to get the new head in. Sigh!:grayno:

You can't read codes on the '12's? I read them on mine.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
I'm curious, what's your mileage on your 12JKU.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a shot of me pulling a code on my 2012

attachment.php

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
You can't read codes on the '12's? I read them on mine.

My JK has a build date of June 5, 2012. It's possible sometime during the build year the software was changed, but I'm still skeptical of my service advisor. I got it to return a "done" code indicating nothing stored in memory.:thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My JK has a build date of June 5, 2012. It's possible sometime during the build year the software was changed, but I'm still skeptical of my service advisor. I got it to return a "done" code indicating nothing stored in memory.:thinking:

Exactly! If in fact you were unable to get codes, there would be no reason for it to state "done".

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Mine was a late build as well. Not sure on the exact date but it was later in the year.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385573207.619183.jpg

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Exactly! If in fact you were unable to get codes, there would be no reason for it to state "done".

Agreed! It's possible this guy doesn't know about the ignition (not likely) or he's trying to wave me off to bring it in for every little thing. Probably the second.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Thanks, I have a 12 JK built 11-11. I'm the second owner, buying it a couple weeks ago with 53xxx miles on it.

Dealership I bought it from has done ALL service on it since it was new and shows no engine issues. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I did have them replace the heater core, radiator and oil cooler under warranty do to lack of heat.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've got a 2012 and CAN'T check the codes. I would think it would be as simple as everyone says it is. I've tried going back and forth really fast, really slow, what I would consider normal, 3 times, 4 times, just back one click, and all the way back to off. NO luck with any attempt. Even tried opening the door after I remove the key to see if there was something with the radio still being on that would affect it between tries.

I had a code just come on today on the way to work and want to check it. I hope it is just something I'm doing wrong. Anyone have any ideas/experience with having trouble reading the codes?

Top Bottom