Axle Size Question …

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
ok, I have a question that may sound stoooopid to some but hey, I’m secure with my masculinity so here it is-

The number given to axles i.e.; Dana 30, 44, 60 etc. What exactly does that number represent? Is it (just a guess) the size of the axle shaft in centimeters? :thinking:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
not a stupid question as i dont know myself. i always assumed it was the size of the pumpkin. im sure eddie or someone will chime in witht he answer

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To the best of my knowledge, the numbers following the "Dana" is just a model number. Just like "JK" is a letter designation for the new Wrangler, I don't think it really means anything more than that. Of course, the 44 was developed in the 1940's, maybe it has something to do with that.

Elusive

Dana axle model numbers loosely relate to the size of the ring gear..... But they are just model numbers. They don't mean all that much nowadays with many different "dana 44" axles running different sized axle shafts, gears, yokes, ujoints etc.
another decent guess would be that a model 30 is a light duty, 44 a half ton, 60 3/4 ton and 70 1 ton axle.

David1tontj

another decent guess would be that a model 30 is a light duty, 44 a half ton, 60 3/4 ton and 70 1 ton axle.

For the most part that would be true for the rear axle... I.e. A 3/4 ton f250 has a 44 in front, and a 1 ton f350 has a 60 up front.

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

David1tontj

Also, I know it was common for rear d60s to only be 30 spline, and most front 60s were 35 spline (inners). Just to add to the confusion

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Top Bottom