Rough country 2.5in lift with shocks

Hangemhigh1

I'm working with a tiny budget. I am looking at the r.c. Lift named above to give my 2013 JKU RUBI a little more clearance without spending a mint to raise it. It's my daily driver and I don't plan on going on super hard trails. The most I will go for tires are 33s but that's not till my stock mud terrains finally wear out. Does anyone have an opinion about this particular lift from Rough Country? My Rubicon has a manual transmission if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So long as you're just getting the spacer lift, you'll be fine. I've installed several of these kits and like all spacers lifts, that's all it is - you can't really go wrong with one or the other. I would recommend that you keep your factory shocks and just run the shock extensions. DO NOT get their shocks as they kinda suck and will give you issues with your front drive shaft.

Hangemhigh1

This particular kit has relocation brackets for the shocks and brake lines. It also replaces the stock springs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This particular kit has relocation brackets for the shocks and brake lines. It also replaces the stock springs.

I would not get this kit. The RC springs provide what I consider to be a substandard ride and have seen the coils sag quickly. I would ONLY run their coil spacer kit.

Are there other shocks that are better than OEM that are better than the stock ones? That won't kill my wallet?

Sure, I would highly recommend the Rancho 7000MT's BUT, you do need to know that you need to get a stock length shock or there about. If you get one that is made for the amount of lift you will get, it will allow for a lot more droop and you will ruin your front drive shaft.

In5ane1

I'm working with a tiny budget. I am looking at the r.c. Lift named above to give my 2013 JKU RUBI a little more clearance without spending a mint to raise it. It's my daily driver and I don't plan on going on super hard trails. The most I will go for tires are 33s but that's not till my stock mud terrains finally wear out. Does anyone have an opinion about this particular lift from Rough Country? My Rubicon has a manual transmission if that makes a difference.

If you want a real world opinion and not hearsay, I have that exact lift.

They did, a few years back, have issues with their springs. They now get them from a place out of Mississippi and to my knowledge the issue has been resolved. I researched the piss out of this before I bought it and for my purposes and budget, it was PERFECT! Their shocks from what I've read are not that great, so I chose to go with the shock extension brackets with the plan of upgrading shocks when my stocks wear out. I have had ZERO issues with the springs and I too have a 2013 JKU, running 33's. Been running this setup for a few months now.

Is this the best kit you can buy?

Not by a long shot, but for my immediate purposes it's great. Ride is a tad rougher even with factory shocks...but then again, it's a jeep. Corning and handling offroad is much improved.

Additionally, it's hard to beat the pricepoint and warranty (lifetime replacement). Plus their customer service is AWESOME, and IMO you will be hard pressed to find better. I would suggest buying from JeepHut. I paid $225 on sale for my kit. For the money, I'm pleased! I did add the RC adjustable sway links also for $50. Should also get rear track bar bracket, it's maybe $30.

Overall, I'm happy. I will most likely go with a more expensive kit later down the road when I regear and get larger tires, but for now this kit suits me just fine. I would do it again in a hearbeat.

Not saying Eddie is off base, but this is my take on it. For your budget and needs, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Good Luck!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you want a real world opinion and not hearsay, I have that exact lift.

To be clear, nothing I had stated was "hearsay". I have personally installed several RC kits including their spacer kit, 2.5" coil kit and even 4" lift kit.

They did, a few years back, have issues with their springs. They now get them from a place out of Mississippi and to my knowledge the issue has been resolved. I researched the piss out of this before I bought it and for my purposes and budget, it was PERFECT! Their shocks from what I've read are not that great, so I chose to go with the shock extension brackets with the plan of upgrading shocks when my stocks wear out. I have had ZERO issues with the springs and I too have a 2013 JKU, running 33's. Been running this setup for a few months now.

As I always like to say, ride quality is 100% subjective. The coils I installed worked but by comparison, I personally feel that a set of factory coils with spacers felt nicer. But of course, that's just me.

Not by a long shot, but for my immediate purposes it's great. Ride is a tad rougher even with factory shocks...but then again, it's a jeep. Corning and handling offroad is much improved.

Agreed, the ride is rougher than stock and that's because of the coils.

In5ane1

To be clear, nothing I had stated was "hearsay". I have personally installed several RC kits including their spacer kit, 2.5" coil kit and even 4" lift kit.

I was refering to other threads that I've read, not in particular to what you said. Just giving my experience as a owner of the product. Again, I say that you have to take into account the price. You do get what you pay for, and the question by the OP was "Is it worth it"? My opinion, it is.

As I always like to say, ride quality is 100% subjective. The coils I installed worked but by comparison, I personally feel that a set of factory coils with spacers felt nicer. But of course, that's just me.

I've had both, and I was happy with the spacer lift. For me, it was a matter of my plans to add a bumper and winch. I have a sport unlimited, so I wanted springs that would hold the weight of those mods better. Hence, the coil lift.

Agreed, the ride is rougher than stock and that's because of the coils.

I agree. I thought I conveyed that. Is it tolerable and comfortable enough for me? Sure is! Even the wife likes driving it.

Bottom line to the OP, it's your jeep and your choice. There are better options out there, but are you (or can you) willing to spend what it takes to get one of these kits? If you plan to add additional weight to your jeep, at some point you will probably want to go with coil springs. Hope my reply helped you out.

Last edited:

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Can't speak for the 2.5" kit as I do not own it, but I do have the 3.5" kit. I've been running it with 35's for a little over a year, about 17,000 miles. I will have to agreed as far as the shocks go, they SUCK! The ride is ok with them, but the lower bushings already have quite a bit of movement around the bolt hole, causing them to squeak when I go over small bumps at slow speeds (pulling into the garage, over the transition between the driveway and garage floor). I will be upgrading to the Bilstein 5150's when RC shocks are completely shot.

Top Bottom