Optima Yellow Top won't start after sitting few days

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I"m wondering if my optima is shot after 3.5 years. I had to jump start after sitting for a week. Had to jump it again two days ago, again after a week of sitting. Went to use this morning and won't start again after only 2 days of sitting. It has been very cold here (lows slightly below freezing) but the jeep is garaged. Battery is about 3.5 years old. I put it in place of stock battery when I installed a winch. Any thoughts from Optima owners? This battery was pricey. I was under the impression this was a really durable, long-lasting, high-performing battery when I purchased it.:idontknow:

SDG

Caught the Bug
Have you checked your alternator? Sounds to me like the alternator isn't working and the only recharge the battery is getting is from the jump.

David1tontj

Also, it could be your battery, the optima batteries are not what they used to be.. Sadly.. :( Here is a link to what the guys are running that is the new best thing.. I think they are diehard platinum? Basically an odyssey battery from Sears. I was sad that Optima batteries turned to crap, but at least now there is a good replacement.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=12514

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

GCM 2

I just replaced what was essentially a brand new yellow top last weekend. The battery is for the winch and electric jack on my trailer, it was kept on a 'Battery Tender' trickle charger and still went bad. As mentioned previously, Odyssey brand batteries or the Sears Diehard Platinum Series (rebranded Odyssey's) are really considered the off road industry standard. I switched to the Diehard Platinum in my jeeps years ago, the Yellow Top on my trailer was the last of the Optimas. The lack of reliability is actually traceable back to when Optima no longer manufactured their batteries in the US and moved everything to Mexico.

TheDuff

Odyssey is what you want, they really can sit with out being used for 2 yrs with very little voltage drop. I've used them in past vehicles with great success. I know for the 07-11 guys a couple companies make dual battery trays specifically for Odyssey batteries (artec comes to mind). They also have a estimated 10 year life span and I wouldn't be surprised to see one last longer:)

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Do any of you run a dual battery setup? ......And if you do what mount do you use?.......I see Artec has a dual Odyssey PC 1500 mount at not a bad price I might add.... but i'm not sure if it's JK specific or not.......Looking to upgrade this area of the Jeep.......thankfully I saw this thread I was about to pull the trigger on some yellow tops......Thanks again Greg and Duff for your input you may have just saved me some future headaches regarding my battery selection.....

Woodrow

GCM 2

Do any of you run a dual battery setup? ......And if you do what mount do you use?.......I see Artec has a dual Odyssey PC 1500 mount at not a bad price I might add.... but i'm not sure if it's JK specific or not.......Looking to upgrade this area of the Jeep.......thankfully I saw this thread I was about to pull the trigger on some yellow tops......Thanks again Greg and Duff for your input you may have just saved me some future headaches regarding my battery selection.....

Woodrow

You got it man! Definitely only trying to pass on facts here and not Internet myths. It's not just on this forum, but most forums have similar results posted with all Optima's (red, blue, yellow) over the last 5 plus years. Overland Journal magazine, which actually does conduct some of the most rigorous testing of products, did not rate the Optima's very high but did rate the Odyssey as the best out of the 5-6 batteries tested. Be warned, Odyssey batteries come with a huge sticker price! Therefore most guys just opt for the very reliable rebranded Diehard Platinum that is made by Odyssey. I will add that the Diehard Platinum will not have the same high end performance of the Odyssey, but it is close.

Edit: I do know about the Artec dual battery tray/kit. I have seen it on their site, I know they fabricate pretty stout items for off road, but have not met anyone with this particular item

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
To be the bearer of bad news, the sears die hard platinum batteries are no longer made by odyssey. That contract was not renewed. The new contract is with Johnson Controls. Having said that, so long as they are making them to the same spec with quality virgin lead, I think it would still be a fine battery. I used to love optima (had yellowtops in all my vehicles) but their quality has gone downhill, and fast. Almost everyone I know has been having issues with their optimas, and their answer is "user error." Not only that, they went on my sh!tlist when they recieved a batch of bad lead, which caused the failure of tens of thousands of batteries (and they knew about it) but still refused to honor their warranties. I will never buy another optima product again, it is pure snakeoil now. Still with the diehard platinum or the odyssey units.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
If you are looking for a JK dual battery setup, this is the best of the best. It has been a long time since I have seen a product so well thought out, and built almost to an insane level of detail.

New%20dual%20battery%20system.png

http://www.genesisoffroad.com/store/JK-Dual-Battery-Kit.html

It is the "double throwdown" system of battery kits. No other system that I have seen comes close.

Disclaimer...I am in NO WAY affiliated with the company, have stock in it, know the owners, or get payment from them in any way shape or form.

Tcdawg

I"m wondering if my optima is shot after 3.5 years. I had to jump start after sitting for a week. Had to jump it again two days ago, again after a week of sitting. Went to use this morning and won't start again after only 2 days of sitting. It has been very cold here (lows slightly below freezing) but the jeep is garaged. Battery is about 3.5 years old. I put it in place of stock battery when I installed a winch. Any thoughts from Optima owners? This battery was pricey. I was under the impression this was a really durable, long-lasting, high-performing battery when I purchased it.:idontknow:

It really won't get fully charged back just by driving it and having the alt charge it. Have you put it on a charger to give it a full and complete charge? If not, try doing that.

Serg5000

Have you put a meter on your battery to make sure it's charging? Or to see if there is a draw in the system. Before I buy a battery I make sure to check everything.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Have you put a meter on your battery to make sure it's charging? Or to see if there is a draw in the system. Before I buy a battery I make sure to check everything.

Thanks for all replies guys. If a new battery is in order, I don't think id go for optima again. Serg, will any volt meter work? Is there a specific process for measuring or just touch meter leads to battery? Please excuse my electrical ignorance

Army_Vet

Banned
Thanks for all replies guys. If a new battery is in order, I don't think id go for optima again. Serg, will any volt meter work? Is there a specific process for measuring or just touch meter leads to battery? Please excuse my electrical ignorance

Try watching this, see if it helps

Serg5000

Most meters measure A/C and DC voltage. So yes any meter will work.
Put the meter in DC mode and touch leads on appropriate terminals.
Write that number down. If it is fully charged it will read around 13volts DC or just below.

Turn the vehicle on and put the leads back on the terminals. If the voltage goes above 13volts DC and stays your alternator is working. Keep the leads on the battery for a couple minutes with engine running. If the voltage drops below 12 volts DC when the motor is running, your alternator is bad.

If you put a fully charged battery in your vehicle and hook the terminals up. When you have the leads on it the voltage should not drop below 12.50 +. If it does. You may have a draw on the battery. If you continue having issues and would like to talk. Shoot me a PM and give me a number and I will cAll you and help you get this figured out.

Top Bottom