ANNOYING Air Bag Alert

Jeepmaverick

So out of nowhere starting hearing a chime every 8 second. Looked at the dash and the air bag malfunction lights flashing. Not too worried bout it shooting off in my face(woulda blown by now) but it's annoying as heck. No blown fuses connections are all good. Any ideas?

FrankenJeeper

I've heard a lot of JK owners having trouble with the clock spring. This hasn't happened to me (knock on wood) so I can't give any details, just hopefully pointing in the right direction. Maybe someone who's had theirs go south will chime in soon.

Moochie

Yes, it's probably the clock spring. 100,000 miles on my JK and I am on my 3rd counting the original. 2008

Jeepmaverick

its an 07 with just under 90k so sounds like y'all are right on the clockspring. Any way to troubleshoot that or just replace and check?

Moochie

You might be able to see if it's throwing a code. You can also check with a dealership, for some reason they are replacing only 2007 yrs with some kind of warranty extension on the clock springs.

JKChad

Just did the clock spring on my 08 JKU last week. Was able to pick up a new Clock spring off of amazon for around $190. Took me about 45-50 mins to do the swap out and I was taking my time. Could be done in 30ish minutes pretty easily. Just make sure to disconnect the battery connection 5-10 mins prior to pulling the airbag to be safe. One of the jeep websites, I think jkowners, has a pretty spot on write up. Heck there could be one on here, but when I searched google the other site came up and the instructions were clear. Good luck! PS, my dealer wanted over $500 for parts and labor! When I told them I'd do it myself, they tried to give me the scare tactic about how so many people have had issues when they did it them selves.

Top Bottom