Link it up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen 3 ,4 and triangulated 4 . which one is the best ? pros cons ?

Well, a triangulated 4-link is going to be your best bet as it will provide the greatest amount of bind free flex, will eliminate the need for a track bar and will still keep your axle centered throughout its range. The biggest problem with a triangulated 4-link on a JK is that it's impossible to install in the rear unless you remove the factory gas tank and relocate it. Up front, there are all kinds of other things in that get in the way.

A 3-link would in theory be the next best thing but, unless you have some kind of watts link setup, you're gonna need to retain a track bar and you'll still have the baggage it comes with. The biggest con to a 3-link is that you only have the one link holding everything in place. If it or a mount it's attached to breaks, you are up a creek without a paddle. Trust me, I have seen it happen and recovery of the Jeep in question was no fun.

In the end, you can only get as much flex as the length of your shock will allow. Assuming you get a good kit with control arms that have a high degree of rotation, a 4-link setup is still what I would prefer to run. There is something to be said about redundancy and over the past 7 years, I can tell you that I have broken my fair share of control arm mounts and was always glad to have another still holding everything in place.

Top Bottom