Weird inside tire wear?

BigJay

Ok guys, I recently had my tires rotated and an alignment done about 3 weeks ago.
I'm noticing the inside lugs are rounding from top toward bottom as if the camber of the tires had the tops tilted inward.
I know there's no camber adjustment they could have messed with so it leaves me to think ball joints?
Toe couldn't mess this up could it?
Almost forgot, 3.5" lift with 35" MTR Kevlars.

Thanks!

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're running big tires, it's not uncommon to have bent end forgings, ball joints that are going bad, unit bearings that are going bad or even a bent axle housing. All will create a condition like this and cause inside wear. A toe that is off will cause rapid tread wear and can aggravate what you are seeing.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I'd say if it just started since the alignment, I'd have them recheck it. Maybe they don't have the toe in spec. Excessive negative toe will cause inside shoulder wear. On the solid front axle, a good alignment rack should indicate bent parts by showing negative camber.

BigJay

We'll not I'm not sure if they were like that when they were on the rear and I never noticed.
But the dealer who did the alignment said toe was off so they put it in "spec".
I may just take it to a local alignment shop and see what they get or do the self alignment with the Harbor Freight kit

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I would take it to an independent alignment shop, took mine to a dealership, had to take it back twice before the steering wheel was centered properly (before lifting it). Did it myself at the shop I work at after the left, dead on spec, no tire wear.

BigJay

I would take it to an independent alignment shop, took mine to a dealership, had to take it back twice before the steering wheel was centered properly (before lifting it). Did it myself at the shop I work at after the left, dead on spec, no tire wear.

That's what I was thinking too. I've lost all faith in dealerships' competence in anything

JayKay

Caught the Bug
That's what I was thinking too. I've lost all faith in dealerships' competence in anything

Well, haven't lost faith in my dealership, due to knowing some of the techs there since we're in a small town. It just took a couple of the techs to attempt the alignment before I was happy with the steering wheel angle. After I lifted it, I noticed the toe was slightly off, guessing they adjusted it to center the steering wheel, not sure.

BigJay

Well, haven't lost faith in my dealership, due to knowing some of the techs there since we're in a small town. It just took a couple of the techs to attempt the alignment before I was happy with the steering wheel angle. After I lifted it, I noticed the toe was slightly off, guessing they adjusted it to center the steering wheel, not sure.

That's the part that scares me. Same machine, same training but completely different results

JayKay

Caught the Bug
That's the advantage I have of working in a shop with the connection to the proper equipment. I know most of the forum members here don't have this advantage, so I strongly recommend taking your rig back to the shop who did the work as soon as possible, if there's an issue. A professional business should stand behind their work and do what's best for the customer. That's what the shop I work at strives for every day.

Top Bottom