Steering opptions

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
$2000 is a lot of money just for a builder kit and orange knuckles that'll only give you about an inch more clearance on your tie-rod. Maybe if it were all bolt on but being that you still have to do all the cutting and welding to make it work, I think you're money would be better spent just getting what you need. Of course, that's just my opinion.

$2000 is a lot of money just for a builder kit and orange knuckles that'll only give you about an inch more clearance on your tie-rod. Maybe if it were all bolt on but being that you still have to do all the cutting and welding to make it work, I think you're money would be better spent just getting what you need. Of course, that's just my opinion.

X2 from experience. Got me some pretty knuckles out of it though. That whole inch you gain really isnt that noticable. And, not sure if it matters to you or not but the steering stops on the knuckles are only adjustable by cutting them. Had to cut mine after removing my hydro ram mount the hard way:eek:

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

Isnt that just great?! I finally agree with Eddie on something, now I gotta go buy some swag. :D

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

EricEickhoff

I'm about to make this same kit for my JK , I was going to do the currie steering kit with a draglink flip mod !,
but it'll cost me the same to build the same setup like the GenRight kit , I'll have a solid steering system with the RR high steer knuckles for a clean finished touch plus it'll be built by myself !!!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm about to make this same kit for my JK , I was going to do the currie steering kit with a draglink flip mod !,
but it'll cost me the same to build the same setup like the GenRight kit , I'll have a solid steering system with the RR high steer knuckles for a clean finished touch plus it'll be built by myself !!!

An EVO drag link flip/track bar relocation kit costs $299. Over the past 7 years, I have yet to have any problem with the factory drag link and still run a factory track bar. The tie rod is weak for sure and should be replaced but there are good options out there that sell for only $300 as well. That puts you at about $600 for a solid setup that's 100% bolt on. As far as orange knuckles go, I have yet to see a factory one break or have issues that warrant it's replacement and can't get myself to pony upwards of $600 for a set of orange ones that only give you about an inch more clearance. Being that you're still gonna hit your tie rod, I personally would use that money and buy the drag link flip and new tie-rod. If you really want to do some welding anyway, weld on the track bar flip bracket and it'll make it maintenance free. Of course, if you're just into spending money because you can, more power to ya :yup:

EricEickhoff

Yeah the RR knuckles are just something I would like to do in the future as an upgrade if and when I have the money !, I'll start with the stock knuckles !
building my own steering system is just really easy for me and I get the High end Aurora Heims for cheap at my work , Do you have any experience with the Currie steering kit for the jk ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah the RR knuckles are just something I would like to do in the future as an upgrade if and when I have the money !, I'll start with the stock knuckles !

And there's nothing wrong with that. One should build up their Jeep however they see fit and enjoy :yup:

building my own steering system is just really easy for me and I get the High end Aurora Heims for cheap at my work , Do you have any experience with the Currie steering kit for the jk ?

That's cool that you can build it yourself. As far as the Currie steering kit goes, I ran their tie-rod on my old 2009 JK and installed a complete kit on a friends JK.

EricEickhoff

And there's nothing wrong with that. One should build up their Jeep however they see fit and enjoy :yup:

That's cool that you can build it yourself. As far as the Currie steering kit goes, I ran their tie-rod on my old 2009 JK and installed a complete kit on a friends JK.

Was it nice and solid , I have their full suspension kit on my 2010 jk and love it ! I still haven't tossed out the currie option yet ! I just like high end heim joints but the currie kit with a knuckle flip mod would save me lots of time and time is $$$$ ,,,, thanks for your knowledge I'm new to the jeep world

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Was it nice and solid , I have their full suspension kit on my 2010 jk and love it ! I still haven't tossed out the currie option yet ! I just like high end heim joints but the currie kit with a knuckle flip mod would save me lots of time and time is $$$$ ,,,, thanks for your knowledge I'm new to the jeep world

Oh yeah, it's a real solid kit and I would still recommend their tie-rod over anything else out there. After owning 4 JK's and still owning 2 that are built up, I just found that the factory track bar and drag link (RHD for the flip kit) is surprisingly tough and it's what I still run on my 2012 JK. 60,000 miles and a ton of trails later and they're still holding up just fine :yup:

Top Bottom