Got a bolt in my TGs, advice please

borracho

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385744796.038997.jpg
Trail grappler mounted on bead locks...is it going to be worth it for me to take the time to take the tire off the wheel and take it in to discount for a patch, or should I just plug it myself from the outside?

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Personally I would just plug it and run it. I have run a plug in previous sets of tires with great success. You can always get it patched later.

David1tontj

I would probably just plug it as well... I am partial to plugs though because I work construction and always pick up nails... I never even skip a beat plugging it. Others may have different opinions or may have had bad luck with plugs, but I haven't had one fail yet..

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Not sure who else might make them ,but Love's truckstops have a plug that is also a patch, looked pretty good. Thought about getting a few for my trail kit.

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

RDahms1

I'm a technician at a GM dealership, we use plugs, patches, and patch/plugs. You can pick all of them up at your local auto parts stores. If it was mine, I'd plug it. I have a plug in one of mine and it does completely fine. Legally, shops are no longer supposed to do plugs because DOT doesn't approve them anymore. A lot of customers don't want to wait to have their tires patched. If I do a patch, I go ahead and do the patch/plug, so if the patch becomes loose, the plug still holds. But, its like ice cream; Everyones got their own favorite.

borracho

Thanks for the replies. I ended up just breaking it down and taking it in. I've been wanting to paint the rings anyway so this gave me a good excuse. Thanks again!

espi

A good trick with plugs is to coat the plug with rubber cement before inserting. This acts as a lubricant and makes a better seal. Also use quality plugs. Not all are created equal.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Great looking tire wheel combo.

I would go with plug, then plug/patch and then patch.

Used plugs in all our tires with no problems.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

borracho

A good trick with plugs is to coat the plug with rubber cement before inserting. This acts as a lubricant and makes a better seal. Also use quality plugs. Not all are created equal.

Got any in mind that you would recommend for future use?

SaddleTramp

Thanks for the replies. I ended up just breaking it down and taking it in. I've been wanting to paint the rings anyway so this gave me a good excuse. Thanks again!

Good job just spending the extra time and effort to do a boot/patch internally. While plugs can stop leaks and flats and sometimes cure the issue altogether (especially out on the trail) , they are also at risk of letting air past the plug material and while the air may not escape to the outside, it may eventually seep in between the tire layers and cords which leads to a "separation" and out of round tire and failure.

While the easiest and most convenient fix is a plug, the boot/patch internally keeps the air on the air side of the tire and out of the rubber and cord layers.

Of course, all that said, I just plugged a tire in our garage last week on a car that will have the tires replaced in the next month due to wear, each option has it's place and pro's/con's, I could do this in our garage without a trip to Discount Tire knowing these tires are on short time anyway.

Top Bottom