Fanatic's Super slow Build thread.

OllllO Fanatic

So I have started some very, very minor mods to my 2013 2 door Rubicon. Quick background, I picked up my Jeep May 9th in Temple Tx, after returning home from 3 years in Okinawa Japan. I am in the Air Force and ordered it while over seas. May 16th, still with paper license plates, my wife and I drove it to Moab. Bone stock, hit up Hells Revenge, Kane Creek, and a few other smaller less popular trails (I was being a bit whimpy when I first arrived). I also went to Hidden Falls in Cedar Park TX, bone stock. Since then I have purchased the Quadratec small fire extinguisher holder, with Halguard 1lb extinguisher, Olympic safari mirrors, Rugged Ridge billet grille insert, Cool Tech all in one CB kit with ultra mount, and Rock Hard 4x4 3 piece skid system. My CB got hit by lightning and fried it, thankfully cobra has excellent customer service, I mailed it to them and they fixed it and sent it back. I have a significant list of "wants" but being in the Air Force and just arriving back in the states I have very little money to spare for a while so it will be a long slow tedious process. This is a list of items I would like to purchase as time goes on. Some are needs and some are wants.

Superchips® Flashcal Programmer
AEV Rear Slider for Dana 44
ARB Snatch Block 9000 - 38,500lb Breaking Strength
DONE Hi-Lift Handle Keeper in Black
DONE 4 Quadratec® "A" Pillar, Sport Bar or Headrest 3-in-one Grab Handles in Red
DONE Quadratec Roller Fairlead License Plate Mount
DONE Hi-Lift Jack® Neoprene Jack Cover
DONE 6 D-ring shackles
DONE Olympic 4X4 Products Light Mounting Brackets in Gloss Black
DONE ARB Tire Inflation Kit
DONE Hi-Lift Jack® Off-Road Base
DONE Bushwacker Cowl Vent Air Scoop in Smooth Black
DONE WARN PowerPlant™ Neoprene Cover
DONE Hi-Lift Jack® Off-Road Accessory Kit
DONE Rugged Ridge Quick Release Mirror Kit in Black
DONE Hi-Lift Jack 48"
DONE Factor 55 Loaded ProLink in Black
DONE KC HiLiTES SlimLite 100W Super White Driving Pair Pack in Black
DONE KC HiLiTES SlimLite 130W Super White Long Range Pair Pack in Black
DONE Bestop soft top
DONE ARB On Board Twin Air Compressor Kit - 12 Volt
DONE WARN PowerPlant 12

From Poison Spyder

JK 2-Door Trail Cage Kit w entry grab handle
JK Extreme Duty Trans-Mount Crossmember
2 Bombshell™ Diff Cover - Dana 44
JK Rear Crusher Flares™ - Standard Width (Steel)
JK Front Crusher Flares™ - Standard Width (Steel)
DONE JK RockBrawler™ Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier
DONE JK Rear License Plate Delete Cover
DONE LED License Plate & 3rd Brake Light with 6' Extension Harness
DONE JK Brawler Lite Front Bumper with Brawler Bar
DONE JK Brawler Lite Front Skid
DONE2-1/2" LED Back-Up Light - Clear

Off Road Evolution

EVO-ENFORCER-KIT w 3" spring 37" clearance and trac bar
EVO Windshield Sticker
EVO C2 Axle Gussets
EVO Front Control Arm Skids
EVO Rock Star Skids

Also on the list is 5 SpyderLock 17's, 5 37x12.5r17 BFGoodrich KM2's,
Tom Woods or coast front and rear drive shafts
and 5:13 gears (May go with 15" rims and 35's not sure yet.)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, and I'm sure (and hoping) one of y'all will tell me some as well. Here's a few pictures of my Jeep and Moab

Last edited:

OllllO Fanatic

Totally forgot, I bought the sPod and have it sitting here not in the jeep. I have nothing to connect to it as of yet so I was waiting to install it. I bought the version with the 2 1/4" aero force gauge opening. Waiting to purchase that as well before install. Was kind of hoping I could get some kind of altimeter to put in the opening, but they seem to only be made for airplanes. Go figure:hmm:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Welcome to Wayalife!

Quite a comprehensive list you have there, matter I fact don't know if it's just the mobile app, but it is hard to read the way it's posted.

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Wow, sound like a fantastic project. Keep us posted with updates and lots of pics

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OllllO Fanatic

Welcome to Wayalife!

Quite a comprehensive list you have there, matter I fact don't know if it's just the mobile app, but it is hard to read the way it's posted.

It's quite the list, and expensive. Slowly but surely I'll add things. My wife suggested after paying off her truck, to take out a loan and build it up in one shot. As far as the list not reading right, I think it is the app, as it looks normal on my laptop. One item per line.

OllllO Fanatic

Wow, sound like a fantastic project. Keep us posted with updates and lots of pics

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I need to post pics of my skids, and take some of the cb mounted inside, and the antenna mount in the license plate bracket. I also need to take a picture of the grille.

OllllO Fanatic

Out of curiosity, can any one who has the evo enforcer lift, 3" springs and 37's, give me a height of their? Preferably a 2 door hard top as that is what I have. But any will do for an estimate. Thanks in advance.

OllllO Fanatic

check out Hinrichs build. he has the 3" springs and 37's.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4089-Hinrichs-build

I was hoping for an exact measurement. I want to see if I get this lift if my jeep will still fit in my garage. I'm sure it will, and If it doesn't I will just not park it in the garage any more. On a different note I have been doing some reading about wheels, and everyone says "they wish they had just bought the better wheels from the beginning" so I will get the 17" spyderlocks instead of the pro comps. I'll edit my above list. Mostly why my list has the items in it that it does. A lot of the builds I have read said the wish theyd have bought this or that from the start.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I was hoping for an exact measurement. I want to see if I get this lift if my jeep will still fit in my garage. I'm sure it will, and If it doesn't I will just not park it in the garage any more. On a different note I have been doing some reading about wheels, and everyone says "they wish they had just bought the better wheels from the beginning" so I will get the 17" spyderlocks instead of the pro comps. I'll edit my above list. Mostly why my list has the items in it that it does. A lot of the builds I have read said the wish theyd have bought this or that from the start.

Yea I know you asked for the exact one. I should have said here is a pic of his for reference and maybe he can measure for you. Sorry bout that

Sent from my iPhone

OllllO Fanatic

Yea I know you asked for the exact one. I should have said here is a pic of his for reference and maybe he can measure for you. Sorry bout that

Sent from my iPhone

No, thank you for the link it was helpful. I can see what it looks like. And I will PM him and ask.

bl17z90

A lot of the builds I have read said the wish theyd have bought this or that from the start.

Yeah every single person who has ever built a Jeep has replaced a part for something better. Its unavoidable but it doesn't hurt to plan in advance to minimize this.

Btw you're wife sounds like an amazing woman with the way she is supporting your Jeep habit.

Sent from my phone?

OllllO Fanatic

Yeah every single person who has ever built a Jeep has replaced a part for something better. Its unavoidable but it doesn't hurt to plan in advance to minimize this.

Btw you're wife sounds like an amazing woman with the way she is supporting your Jeep habit.

Sent from my phone?

LOL yeah she is pretty awesome. She's a Jeep Junky like myself. She use to own a 2001 Solar Yellow TJ X, 4.0 and stick. She misses it dearly. Not sure why she bought a 2008 GMC Sierra.:doh: I have been reading, and seeing what everybody changes from and too. Kinda learn through others mistakes. Enforcer kit seems like a big I wish I had I've been reading about. Same with the beadlocks, and 37's instead of 35's.

Last edited:

bl17z90

You're pretty mich right about most of what you said. The only one I don't agree with is the 35's 37's thing. Yes almost everyone wants 37's after grtting 35's but most don't go 37's right away because it takes more upgrades than just the tire itself. But yeah most plan to finish their builds on 37's

Sent from my phone?

OllllO Fanatic

You're pretty mich right about most of what you said. The only one I don't agree with is the 35's 37's thing. Yes almost everyone wants 37's after grtting 35's but most don't go 37's right away because it takes more upgrades than just the tire itself. But yeah most plan to finish their builds on 37's

Sent from my phone?

From all that I've read the stock Rubicon Dana 44's with chromoly axle shafts, EVO C gussets, and I planed trusses, would hold up with 37's. If I'm wrong please by all means let me have it. I'd hate to waste money. Oh and I don't get aggressive with the skinny pedal.

Last edited:

OllllO Fanatic

Sent from my phone?

From all that I've read the stock Rubicon Dana 44's with chromoly axle shafts, EVO C gussets, and I planed trusses, would hold up with 37's. If I'm wrong please by all means let me have it. I'd hate to waste money. Oh and I don't get aggressive with the skinny pedal.

I have spent most of today searching the inter webs, and reading articles on people with 37's compared to 35's, and it seems that the stock axles may not quite be up to the challenge. From what I understand 37's are absolutely doable, but will be replacing worn out parts like hubs and u joints more often, go to the gas station more often, and will have to be very easy on the skinny pedal on most obstacles. If I do the same upgrades to my axles and run 35's it is a safer bet, and I can have more fun. I would hate to go and get 37's and then regret it because of parts wearing out too quickly, and braking things. Glad you brought this up thanks.

bl17z90

The only parts that should wear are the ball joints. And even on 35's those are still a replacement item. Hell even on stock tires you need to replace those.

As long as you have gussets, chromoly shafte and don't spend wheels all over the place a 44 wil hold 37's just fine. Eddie and Cindy had 37's on Rubicat's stock axles withthat setup and we all have seen the kind of use they put their jeeps too.

Sent from my phone?

OllllO Fanatic

The only parts that should wear are the ball joints. And even on 35's those are still a replacement item. Hell even on stock tires you need to replace those.

As long as you have gussets, chromoly shafte and don't spend wheels all over the place a 44 wil hold 37's just fine. Eddie and Cindy had 37's on Rubicat's stock axles withthat setup and we all have seen the kind of use they put their jeeps too.

Sent from my phone?

... Ok then. So are there upgraded ball joints for the stock rubicon 44? Is that something I need to add to my list? I guess I hadn't realized Eddie and Cindy hadn't upgraded the axles. Compared to stock how much more often would I have to replace ball joints with 35's, and 37's? And I'm guessing 37's would be more often than 35's? Oh and again, thank you for the info. Did some more reading, think this is correct. Yes there are places that make aftermarket ball joints, dynatrac being one and synergy being another. 37's back on the table.:rock:

Last edited:

OllllO Fanatic

WHen I say add to the list, mostly for when the factory ones fail. Just when I think I've got something figured out...:thinking:

Top Bottom