Poison spyder frame mounted sliders?

Sithwindu

So I was day dreaming and looking through north ridge and came across frame mounted rocker knockers. I had planned on going with Evo sliders but I'm not gonna lie, these sliders look visually (astetically?) pleasing. Didn't know psc made frame mount?!

Anyone heard any news about these? Pros cons?! And would these work with Evo long arm?

rtguy1

I can say I helped install a set of the bolt on versions and as much as I like poison spyder I was not impressed. Several holes had to be drilled underneath the body in order to install u nuts to bolt the sliders up. After all was said and done there were a shit ton of new holes and sliders mounted on flimsy sheet metal. This new version is def an upgrade over the last version, but my evo sliders have been proven time and time again with my wheeling experiences. I've came down HARD on them on a few occasions, used them to pivot around large obstacles, etc and with some touch up paint they are still good as new. :twocents:

StrizzyChris

After all was said and done there were a shit ton of new holes and sliders mounted on flimsy sheet metal.

Im looking at the pics, and the first thing that I noticed was how weak the tabs looked to drill it onto the frame. Only seeing in person will help to tell if the material is better than the pics, but based on them alone, Im not impressed. Ill stick with my LODs :yup:

Im looking at the pics, and the first thing that I noticed was how weak the tabs looked to drill it onto the frame. Only seeing in person will help to tell if the material is better than the pics, but based on them alone, Im not impressed. Ill stick with my LODs :yup:

I actually like the design and don't most frame mounted ones that bolt in require drilling holes? I plan on building my own anyways so I've been checking out a bunch of designs to figure out which way I want to go

Which does anyone have any specs on the EVO or lod? Like what size tubing they use, how thick, thickness of the mounting plates to the frame, etc? Wanna make sure when I build mine they will hold up.

Last edited:

StrizzyChris

I actually like the design and don't most frame mounted ones that bolt in require drilling holes? I plan on building my own anyways so I've been checking out a bunch of designs to figure out which way I want to go

Yes, like the LOD sliders it requires holes in the frame. LOD appears to require quite a few more holes and more attachment points/holes=strength. I also like the design and look of their sliders but it appears(at least in the few photos I have seen) that it is very tight to the rocker but doesn't extend up as high as the EVO or LOD design which looks like it may leave the doors and sides more exposed to damage.

PS
PS.jpg

EVO
EVO2.jpg

EVO.jpg

LOD
P6260298.jpg

P4200038.jpg

Which does anyone have any specs on the EVO or lod? Like what size tubing they use, how thick, thickness of the mounting plates to the frame, etc? Wanna make sure when I build mine they will hold up.

I know the LOD sliders use a combo of 2" square and 1.75" round tube in their design. Not sure of the thickness of the mounting plate. This is another feature I don't like, that they use bent plate steel as the legs of the slider rather than the strength of boxed or tube steel with the strength of gusseting.

PS
18-08-030_b-1800w-xl.jpg

LOD
P6260302.jpg

EVO
images

images

Yes, like the LOD sliders it requires holes in the frame. LOD appears to require quite a few more holes and more attachment points/holes=strength. I also like the design and look of their sliders but it appears(at least in the few photos I have seen) that it is very tight to the rocker but doesn't extend up as high as the EVO or LOD design which looks like it may leave the doors and sides more exposed to damage.

PS
View attachment 58323

EVO
View attachment 58324

View attachment 58325

LOD
View attachment 58327

P4200038.jpg

I know the LOD sliders use a combo of 2" square and 1.75" round tube in their design. Not sure of the thickness of the mounting plate. This is another feature I don't like, that they use bent plate steel as the legs of the slider rather than the strength of boxed or tube steel with the strength of gusseting.

PS
View attachment 58328

LOD
View attachment 58332

EVO
images

images

Ok I see. Yea it does hug and I want mine angled out a little more to use as a step also. I think I'm going to combine both the LOD and EVO designs. I like the LOD mounting a lot better. Not a big fan of welding onto the frame cause it seems it would creat weak spots in the frame. I do however like how the PS uses the skid bolts as part of the mounting. I think I will incorporate that into the design. Less drilling and tapping if holes. Actually I don't see an issue with going through the side of the frame with bolts unless sleeves would be needed on the inside of the frame which I can possibly see.

StrizzyChris

I wouldn't be concerned at all with the welding weakening the frame at all. Only if the welder is terrible and has the heat way too high would you do anything to cause the integrity to be compromised. I cant weld and like the step in the LOD is the only reason I did it, otherwise I would have went with EVO. Also as you can see in the picture of my rig above, LOD utilizes the skid holes as well for two of the three lower tabs.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Ok I see. Yea it does hug and I want mine angled out a little more to use as a step also.

I have the EVO sliders angled downward as use them as a step for the wife as kids. Works well. As Strizzy said no need to worry about the welds if you have a skilled welder burning them on. They are stout as hell and have been used as a recovery point (ask GCM 2) and as a hi-lift Jack point.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385832751.758805.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385832809.790208.jpg

I wouldn't be concerned at all with the welding weakening the frame at all. Only if the welder is terrible and has the heat way too high would you do anything to cause the integrity to be compromised. I cant weld and like the step in the LOD is the only reason I did it, otherwise I would have went with EVO. Also as you can see in the picture of my rig above, LOD utilizes the skid holes as well for two of the three lower tabs.

Yea I noticed that a couple of minutes ago

I have the EVO sliders angled downward as use them as a step for the wife as kids. Works well. As Strizzy said no need to worry about the welds if you have a skilled welder burning them on. They are stout as hell and have been used as a recovery point (ask GCM 2) and as a hi-lift Jack point.

View attachment 58345
View attachment 58346

I like that. By any chance have more of a top view? Any chance you know what angle that is and about how far out from the body it sits? Sorry so many questions. I just can't justify spending $500+ in something I think is so simple to build. And when I mean simple I mean simple for the companies as they do it all the time and have all the specs. I'm sure it take me some time to do.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I like that. By any chance have more of a top view? Any chance you know what angle that is and about how far out from the body it sits? Sorry so many questions. I just can't justify spending $500+ in something I think is so simple to build. And when I mean simple I mean simple for the companies as they do it all the time and have all the specs. I'm sure it take me some time to do.

Will do give me a few. Not sure of the angle but I'll measure it for you. When ordered you just ask for the "custom angle" sliders.

JKBANDIT55

Thinking of trying these out as well. Still exploring my options though. I agree to the post above, being a welder, too many weld points can actually weaken the frame especially if ran too hot.

a lot of different types to look at.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
By any chance have more of a top view? Any chance you know what angle that is and about how far out from the body it sits?

Here you go Dunny,
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385836609.376132.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385836662.868750.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385836679.774759.jpg
They stick out about 4" from my skins which is plenty for the family to use as a step.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1385836716.912129.jpg
The angle is about 35 degrees or so.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
These new PS sliders definitely seem to be an improvement over their last set which would bend enough from a hard hit to prevent you from opening up your doors. I'd like to see how they do now.

CaliCrusher

I bought the brawler rockers. Talking to the PSC guys for a bit at the Off road Expo a couple of months ago, they preferred those to the rocker knockers.

Based on looks and testimony the Evos are more rugged than what PSC has to offer. But I think the brawler rockers look more finished. It's a balance of form and function for me.

Top Bottom