Shock length question

JKU EXTREME

Since (what I have read if this forum) flex is dependent on the shock length and not the length of the coil. Would it be advised, if I would want more flex, to have shocks that would be used for a 4"-5" lift on a 3"coil lift?

Thanks
-John

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Since (what I have read if this forum) flex is dependent on the shock length and not the length of the coil. Would it be advised, if I would want more flex, to have shocks that would be used for a 4"-5" lift on a 3"coil lift?

Thanks
-John

No. If you run a shock that is longer than is needed for the amount of lift you have, you will not have enough up travel and they will bottom out. This is not a good thing.

JKU EXTREME

No. If you run a shock that is longer than is needed for the amount of lift you have, you will not have enough up travel and they will bottom out. This is not a good thing.

Alright thanks, then what would be necessary to produce a greater amount of flex?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Alright thanks, then what would be necessary to produce a greater amount of flex?

There really is only so much you can do with a standard coil and shock setup. Shock length will all for more droop but unless you lift your Jeep sky high, the amount of stuff you can have will be limited. If you want to keep your Jeep at a lower stance but still get more droop and more stuff, you would have to install something like an EVO coil over setup. This will effectively raise the upper mounting point of the coil over so that it sits higher than stock. The DTD setup is angled back to allow for even more droop and up travel while still retaining a low stance.

Top Bottom