Fill and Drill?

safecracker909

The worst part about upgrading to a RockJock 60 on the front is having to replace my Walker Evans rims because of the bolt pattern changing from 5x5 to 5x5.5. Has anybody had success with filling and drilling for a new bolt pattern? I question the strength of the rim after the modification.
These rims are expensive and I really like them. I don't really want to have to buy them again.
What are your opinions?

The worst part about upgrading to a RockJock 60 on the front is having to replace my Walker Evans rims because of the bolt pattern changing from 5x5 to 5x5.5. Has anybody had success with filling and drilling for a new bolt pattern? I question the strength of the rim after the modification.
These rims are expensive and I really like them. I don't really want to have to buy them again.
What are your opinions?

Do they make a spacer which goes from 5x5 to 5x5.5? If so i would pursue that avenue first before I start thinking about filling and the re drilling. Also that does sound rather expensive in just aluminum and labor. Or sell your rims and use that money as seed money for new ones.:twocents:

Do they make a spacer which goes from 5x5 to 5x5.5? If so i would pursue that avenue first before I start thinking about filling and the re drilling. Also that does sound rather expensive in just aluminum and labor. Or sell your rims and use that money as seed money for new ones.:twocents:

Yes they do, I'm running a set of them because my spyntec hubs are 5x5.5 but I have not seen a set that goes from 5x5.5 down to 5x5.
My wheels are 5x5.5 though
We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

Last edited:

Skid_Kid

Your playing with fire trying to fill and drill. It needs to be done professionally if it is done. Honestly I would not do it. Sell your old rims and buy new ones with the correct pattern. :thumb::thumb:

safecracker909

Made up my mind. I am going to sell them and buy another set of Walker Evans.

What is your opinion in rim size? 17 vs 20 when running 37-40" tires? When airing down, is there that much of a difference with such large tires? Lets say I am going to stay with Nitto tires and Walker Evans rims.

StrizzyChris

What is your opinion in rim size? 17 vs 20 when running 37-40" tires? When airing down, is there that much of a difference with such large tires? Lets say I am going to stay with Nitto tires and Walker Evans rims.

I would do the 17's! Cheaper for tires and a ton more options of brands available :yup:

10frank9

Web Wheeler

More tire sizes available in 17's and cheaper as well. 20's look good with 40's but the issue arises on not only price but tire scarcity as Strizzy mentioned.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, I would stick with 17's. I loved the 20's I had while running 40x15.50's but they are hard to come by and as mentioned, you don't have as many choices in tires. Of course, the cost is a lot more too. As far as Walker's go, I do love the way they look and was sad to get rid of mine but, the one thing that was always an issue was their back spacing - just too much. Also, I don't like how they break bolts. The ATX Slabs I run now have a perfect 3.5" of back spacing and have never broken a bolt with them. Just something to think about.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
As mentioned, I would stick with 17's. I loved the 20's I had while running 40x15.50's but they are hard to come by and as mentioned, you don't have as many choices in tires. Of course, the cost is a lot more too. As far as Walker's go, I do love the way they look and was sad to get rid of mine but, the one thing that was always an issue was their back spacing - just too much. Also, I don't like how they break bolts. The ATX Slabs I run now have a perfect 3.5" of back spacing and have never broken a bolt with them. Just something to think about.

Eddie, what was your reason for getting rid of the Spyder Locks you had and going with the Slabs, other than ORE carrys them?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Refer to his previous post.

Thanks, should have read that closer. But just to be sure, is there a reason not to run the Spyder Locks in the 17"? Have a chance to buy a set from a buddy who is switching to 8 lug wheels.

Top Bottom