Yukon gears

Erickkingston

I am getting ready to swap my gears on my 12 JKUS 6 speed. I'm am fairly sold on the Yukon 456. Has anyone done the ring and pinion swap in their garage? I don't mind the challenge but would love any insight on the job before I jump into it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What size tires are you planning on running? Just want to make sure that you really want to get 4.56's. Aside from that, installing gears right is not easy and even shops can get it wrong. Assuming you have a case spreader, dial indicator, high capacity air compressor and impact wrench and a good torque wrench, you would have a fighting chance to do it right.

Erickkingston

2012 JKUS 6 speed manual. 35x12.50x18 Nitto Terra Grappler MT's on XD Monsters. I will shop around a bit before I jump on it myself.

Anyone know a good Jeep Gera guy in central VA. Fredericksburg area?

Jerms

I live close to Lynchburg. My buddies at RPN in Goode just installed my 5.13s. After break in, all fluids look good and patterns correct. PM me if interested. I can let Tony know and get you guys hooked up.

JKFlyer

I'm in same boat 35s about to regear and more a highway/,road driver and was still strongly recommended to go 4.88

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

jackedup

I thought jeeps with the pen engine didn't need to be geared as low. I was thinking 4.56 with the 37's I plan on putting on . the graph I saw on here puts 4.56 with 37's in the "good daily driver" column . Am I wrong about this?

Spartan

I thought jeeps with the pen engine didn't need to be geared as low. I was thinking 4.56 with the 37's I plan on putting on . the graph I saw on here puts 4.56 with 37's in the "good daily driver" column . Am I wrong about this?

Most people on here seam to think that 4.88 is the sweet spot for 35's even with the new engine. If you are going 37's you might think about being in the 5's.

Whiskey River

Just did a regear to 4.88 this week on my 2012 with 37" Terra Grapplers. Been driving the past few days and feels great. RPM's are a bit higher than with the 3.73 gears but love having the power back.

jackedup

Just did a regear to 4.88 this week on my 2012 with 37" Terra Grapplers. Been driving the past few days and feels great. RPM's are a bit higher than with the 3.73 gears but love having the power back.

have you noticed much of a difference in mpg. Like your gas gauge moving faster

Whiskey River

have you noticed much of a difference in mpg. Like your gas gauge moving faster

Not yet but it's only been a couple days commuting to work and back. I'll post after my first couple tanks.

Update: First tank got me 13.99 mpg. Tank before the gear swap was 15.85. Hope this helps out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom