rust appearing underneath

roadkill

gday guys.
so i was under my JK yesterday fitting my AEV budget boost and noticed quite a lot of surface rust apearing on the drive shafts and other bits and pieces. is it normal for the JKU's to develop a bit of surface rust in these parts or? bear in my im in Australia so this thing wouldve spent a bit of time at sea...

10frank9

Web Wheeler
gday guys.
so i was under my JK yesterday fitting my AEV budget boost and noticed quite a lot of surface rust apearing on the drive shafts and other bits and pieces. is it normal for the JKU's to develop a bit of surface rust in these parts or? bear in my im in Australia so this thing wouldve spent a bit of time at sea...

Yes it is normal. You can do some damage control though by grabbing a wire brush scrubbing, cleaning then using some good rust resistant paint. Something I've been meaning to do. :thumb:

roadkill

yeah i thort it might of been. might have to go grab some black spray paint and a wire brush and do my drive shafts.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
yeah i thort it might of been. might have to go grab some black spray paint and a wire brush and do my drive shafts.

Most DS have some surface rust and it isn't an issue. Post some photos before you go investing too much labor on a non-issue. I would be more worried about axle and suspension components.

roadkill

iv never seen rust on a drive shaft before, at least not in a new car. must be because most iv worked with have had a black finish unlike the Jeep.

do not get too aggressive with the wire brush around the drive shaft weights. If one pops off your drive shaft will be out of balance and cause a vibration. You can also use Naval Jelly which can be found at Home Depot in the paint section. Naval Jelly is used as a rust removal with a lot of effort. Once you have cleaned the rust off be sure to use a good rustolium primer then the top coat.

R/
Will

jeffd

well according to dana spicer the rust is actually intended to protect. It is just a surface oxidation process that prevents major rust lol. I aint making this up either.

Top Bottom