Child seat suggestions!

BadApple

OK, So my little girl (7 y/o) will be moving to the front seat of the jeep with the new baby due in Janruary. I was just wondering what car seat you all would suggest. I know im gonna get criticized for letting my child sit in the front seat but i cant avoid it. What seat is good for the front? Britax, Recaro, simpson, or any other suggestions.

DELIVERANCE

I can't offer up any good advice as to car seat manufacturers, but why do you say you can't avoid putting her in the front? I have four children. I run three car seats in the back. They fit just fine

***Mostly broke and kinda ugly. But at least I ain't got no friends!***

Yea even in a 2 door you should be able to fit them both in back. I use a graco. I have like 3 of them actually to go in each vehicle. I'll be jumping to a booster soon though. If it were me I would get one of the booster combo ones. Just spend the money once. Now for a baby seat I think we went graco also. Good head support and cushion. The base latches in nice and tight

BadApple

I have a 7 yo grl a 6 yo boy and i have new born on the way. we have tried to use the oldest booster seat with a infant seat in the back also and it will not work.
Gracos are garbage in my opinion thats why they were not included

I have a 7 yo grl a 6 yo boy and i have new born on the way. we have tried to use the oldest booster seat with a infant seat in the back also and it will not work.
Gracos are garbage in my opinion thats why they were not included

Alrighty was just trying to help. Good luck with your search.

BadApple

she is over 40 lbs she will have to go up front because there is not enough room in the back seat for 3 car seats and there is only 2 belts...

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
she is over 40 lbs she will have to go up front because there is not enough room in the back seat for 3 car seats and there is only 2 belts...

Got it. Didn't know from the original post about the 6yo boy. Sounds like its time to upgrade to an Unlimited

David1tontj

I also run britax as my whole family, including 4x4Jesus has always run them and they have an awesome reputation.

As far as sitting in the front seat, I have a Tj, and I seldom even have a back seat while wheeling, so my 3 year old also sits in the front, but before I even thought of putting her up front I pulled the wires from the passenger airbag... The airbag light is always on now, but in my opinion it's better to not have it then for it to hurt her.. I did the same thing in my work van, it's only a 2 seater, so I completely removed the airbag to be positive it would never hurt her.. I'm sure I'll get roasted about how wrong that is to do, but I really don't care.. It's all about my daughters safety

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Last edited:

BadApple

thanks david and 4x4 i like britax but when it comes to the front seat i didnt know if any of these i listed were better suited they are all about the same price i like the recaro and britax one and ive seen a beard seat that is a standalone seat specificly for the little ones you pull your old seat out and it bolts on stock location only seen it once and cant find it again

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Just a question about this thread. Is your 7 year old in a full backed/ head rested seat or just a booster?

David1tontj

thanks david and 4x4 i like britax but when it comes to the front seat i didnt know if any of these i listed were better suited they are all about the same price i like the recaro and britax one and ive seen a beard seat that is a standalone seat specificly for the little ones you pull your old seat out and it bolts on stock location only seen it once and cant find it again

Sounds cool! Then the wife would have to ride In back huh??

Just looked at the recaro online... They do look pretty cool, and what they say about generations of racing seat safety going into them is pretty cool too!! Maybe I just found my next car seat! Haha

David1tontj

Im trying to figure out how to do that and explain it to my wife over skype lol!

Definitely need to use caution when doing it to avoid accidental deployment.. Laugh all you want, but I wore a helmet while doing it on mine! Haha

BadApple

Definitely need to use caution when doing it to avoid accidental deployment.. Laugh all you want, but I wore a helmet while doing it on mine! Haha

I dont know about tjs but im pretty sure the jk has a plug that you can disconnect

JAGS

Hooked
Gotcha. Maybe I missed it but are you disengaging the front airbag?

^^^ My thoughts exactly. Not to get all gruesome here, but snapped/severed spinal cord is not a result I'd want from a car accident. Disengage the airbag.

As for seats, I'm absolutely OCD when it comes to my kids safety and did a lot of research a few years back. Obviously money plays a small roll, but the Harmony booster with removable back/headrest scored very high on the NHTSA tests. We got 2 for the jeep and 2 for the wife's SUV. Even though they are big enough to not to need the headrests (gone from the wifes seats), they still like them for the jeep and offroading for added support. Rated for up to 80lbs.

I'd check out the latest NHTSA car seat reviews and go from there. Also check latest child safety seat laws as they do change.

Note: In a 2011, I'm pretty sure there should be three belts belts in back and also the LATCH system.:thinking:

Last edited:

BadApple

^^^ My thoughts exactly. Not to get all gruesome here, but snapped/severed spinal cord is not a result I'd want from a car accident. Disengage the airbag.

As for seats, I'm absolutely OCD when it comes to my kids safety and did a lot of research a few years back. Obviously money plays a small roll, but the Harmony booster with removable back/headrest scored very high on the NHTSA tests. We got 2 for the jeep and 2 for the wife's SUV. Even though they are big enough to not to need the headrests (gone from the wifes seats), they still like them for the jeep and offroading for added support. Rated for up to 80lbs.

I'd check out the latest NHTSA car seat reviews and go from there. Also check latest child safety seat laws as they do change.

Note: In a 2011, I'm pretty sure there should be three belts belts in back and also the LATCH system.:thinking:

None of the harmony ones i see have harnesses. Thats one of the main things we are looking for in the new seat.

BigBoy

I use Britax exclusively. Some say I'm crazy to buy such an expensive car seat for my boys. I say if pay triple for guaranteed safety. You can't put a price on your kids so don't skimp on the cars eat. I have them rear facing until at least 2 years old or the seat weight limit will allow. Same for the full back boosters. My oldest is in a Britax Frontier and will remain with the full back until 85lbs when it is no longer safe as designated by Britax.

Top Bottom