Wheels

jodonn

Can I get away with a 5" backspace wheel with a TF 2.5 coil lift? Also can I install the wheels before the lift?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Can I get away with a 5" backspace wheel with a TF 2.5 coil lift? Also can I install the wheels before the lift?

Backspace issues don't arise with lifts so much as they do with tires and rubbing caused from wider than stock. What tires will you be running and will you be running factory wheels?:thinking:

BigBoy

Simply put, yes. With stock wheels and tires it won't be an issue. But as the others have said, with taller and wider tires you may rub. How wide and how tall will determine how much.

Jeeper Jr.

Again we need to know what tires he is planning on running. BS issues come from wider tires rubbing sway bars, bolts and affecting your turning radius.

I understand that. I'm just thinking if the lift itself forbids 5" of backspacing, the other issues are moot.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I understand that. I'm just thinking if the lift itself forbids 5" of backspacing, the other issues are moot.

The lift itself doesn't forbid 5" of backspacing. The lift is made to accommodate 35's but will not do so without also requiring wheels with 4.5" of backspacing. If you have installed a lift you would understand the physics behind raising a vehicle up 2.5". This will not affect the vehicle running wheels with 5" of backspacing unless the tires are also changed. The backspacing issues arise when wider tires are put on with wheels that are not able to clear the suspension components.

Jeeper Jr.

The lift itself doesn't forbid 5" of backspacing. The lift is made to accommodate 35's but will not do so without also requiring wheels with 4.5" of backspacing. If you have installed a lift you would understand the physics behind raising a vehicle up 2.5". This will not affect the vehicle running wheels with 5" of backspacing unless the tires are also changed. The backspacing issues arise when wider tires are put on with wheels that are not able to clear the suspension components.

If have not installed a lift but I have changed wheels and I ran into backspacing issues right at the beginning as the wheel was contacting a strut. It was not a Jeep tho. I didn't realize my rationale didn't apply :doh: Thanks for the info. Now I know better :)

10frank9

Web Wheeler
If have not installed a lift but I have changed wheels and I ran into backspacing issues right at the beginning as the wheel was contacting a strut. It was not a Jeep tho. I didn't realize my rationale didn't apply :doh: Thanks for the info. Now I know better :)

Glad to help.:thumb:

I believe stock JK wheels have about 6.25" of backspacing so the wheels with 5" BS will be an improvement.

Last edited:

jodonn

I am thinking 285/70/17 duratrac. Ordering the lift after Christmas. Looking at wheels and tires now. This is my DD so I am trying to keep mpg's under control.

jodonn

Wheels,I am looking at M/T classic III black. They have 4.5 back spacing. They are 17/9. Will the duratrac tires fit?

Last edited:
Top Bottom