2012 engine problems?

Beau beau

I bought my first jeep and it's a 2012 and I am hearing that people are having problems with their engines (tapping,and left side head). This really concerns me being that I have already installed my lift and tires because the dealer will void your warranty if it has been modified. I saved all the stock suspension just incase I have any warranty issues. I will strip this baby and bring it right back to the dealer if I need to. I saw where someone said the problem was on the early 2012 and my production date is 1/2012. Just wondering if I need to be on the look out for this problem.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
we're having problems with our 2012 engine now and you can read about it here:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?1195-2012-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Check-Engine-Light-on-RubiCAT-P0306

of course, our jeep is highly modified but fortunately, this problem is well known and getting it fixed under warranty doesn't look like it's going to be a problem. the problem is getting parts as they are currently back ordered 8 weeks. worse, we were told they can't order the parts until the strip things down and report it to chrysler. needless to say, this would leave us without a jeep for 2 months and, that's not something i can afford to do right now.

have you gotten a check engine light on yet? if not, maybe you'll be okay.

Beau beau

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?1195-2012-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Check-Engine-Light-on-RubiCAT-P0306

of course, our jeep is highly modified but fortunately, this problem is well known and getting it fixed under warranty doesn't look like it's going to be a problem. the problem is getting parts as they are currently back ordered 8 weeks. worse, we were told they can't order the parts until the strip things down and report it to chrysler. needless to say, this would leave us without a jeep for 2 months and, that's not something i can afford to do right now.

I haven't gotten a light yet but I only have 2500 miles on mine so far. I purchased the extended warranty and it states if my jeep is in service more than one day they will give me a rental and I will hold them to it.

Zambi

I got the stupid tick too. 3700 miles. 9-2011 is when mine was built. I let my dealership know and they said bring It in when It throws the CEL

94YJBeaver

So with these problems occurring in the 2012's would it be a safe bet that they will have them solved for the 2013's?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So with these problems occurring in the 2012's would it be a safe bet that they will have them solved for the 2013's?

from what i understand, they already have the problem solved and the problem is only exists on early build 2012's. the cyl head replacement is the fix and so far, it has been all that needs to be done.

MTG

Caught the Bug
from what i understand, they already have the problem solved and the problem is only exists on early build 2012's. the cyl head replacement is the fix and so far, it has been all that needs to be done.

Do you know if this a matter of "when" not "if" or might some of us get lucky?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you know if this a matter of "when" not "if" or might some of us get lucky?

from what my dealership told me, the problem can show up as soon as 4,000 miles and always occurs by or before 30,000. or, at least that's what they've seen. if you get past 30,000, you're most likely okay.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lets hope they did solve it my build is 05/2012. I guess we will find out later down the road.

honestly, this was supposed to be limited to builds before nov 2011 and, while i have heard of a few after that, i don't think any have been past jan 2012. you should be fine.

MTG

Caught the Bug
from what my dealership told me, the problem can show up as soon as 4,000 miles and always occurs by or before 30,000. or, at least that's what they've seen. if you get past 30,000, you're most likely okay.

I'm only at 9000, guess I'll wait and worry. :sigh:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm only at 9000, guess I'll wait and worry. :sigh:

when was your build again?

for what it's worth, i'm not too worried now that i know it'll get covered. in fact, we are bringing rubicat up to tahoe for sure now inspite of the light being on.

MTG

Caught the Bug
when was your build again?

for what it's worth, i'm not too worried now that i know it'll get covered. in fact, we are bringing rubicat up to tahoe for sure now inspite of the light being on.

8/11

I'm only worried that my luck dictates that if it occurs, it will occur at the worst possible time and location. ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
8/11

I'm only worried that my luck dictates that if it occurs, it will occur at the worst possible time and location. ;)

:cheesy: it's not like your engine will blow up or anything. your light will just turn on and that's it :yup:

Top Bottom