Leaking axle seal?

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
So I just had the axle seals replaced on my front axle and 2 weeks later I noticed it leaking. I took it back to the shop and they are telling me that it's the excess grease from the EVO sleeves and not the axle seal. What do you guys think? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386017275.784998.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt it but, one way to know for sure is to clean it well up with some brake cleaner and the see if it's still leaking out. If so, it's probably your axle seals again.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I already cleaned it up once thinking it was residual from last time and it just came right back

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you looked at your axle lately? Any chance that it's bent? If so, that would cause a leak at the seal. Just happened to Rubicat.

David1tontj

So did the shop say it was leaking because of your sleeves, or that it was just grease from your sleeves?

Well big brother.... It might be time to go one ton!!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
I haven't looked at the axle closely lately. How would I check if it's bent?

David, I can't afford 1 ton and don't want to think about the cost of a PR44. I just put new ball joints on this axle and had the axle seals replaced ( old ones were rusted out from water getting in the tubes and started leaking.

David1tontj

I was only joking about the one tons..

If they are really Bent you should be able to see it with a level.. Park on level ground then hold the level on the sidewalls of your tires to see if they are plumb... You should be able to see if they are way out. This isn't super accurate, but it should let you know if they are way out.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I was only joking about the one tons..

If they are really Bent you should be able to see it with a level.. Park on level ground then hold the level on the sidewalls of your tires to see if they are plumb... You should be able to see if they are way out. This isn't super accurate, but it should let you know if they are way out.

If your toe is of it'll affect it. Just look at the axle or even post a picture. You could put a level on the tube itself but if your not on level ground it won't be accurate either.

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
Well I took it in to the shop and they just called and said the front driver side axle shaft is bent. Housing us fine but the axle is bent

4x4Jesus

Caught the Bug
So a question for Eddie or anyone else who cares to reply. Is it possible to bend a axle shaft without bending the housing? I was told by the shop that the housing was not bent. while wheeling today in low range I could hear a squeak occasionally that sounded like a gate hinge just a slight metal on metal squeak. If the housing is bent and I had a new straight shaft installed could I be hearing it rubbing on the sleeve ? The old shaft has marks on it that the shop said was from it rubbing on the axle sleeve.( see attached photo) then it also has a groove worn in it from the axle seal. Am I just being paranoid? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386481128.833004.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386481167.313900.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386481193.626360.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386481144.696554.jpg

Top Bottom