Did I choose right!?

AMEChambers

So I just ordered some new shocks. Sales guy talked me out of the rancho rs9000xl and into pro comp pro runners... I also picked up a bilstein ss and some synergy brackets. All replacing old RC products....

BBrown626

So I just ordered some new shocks. Sales guy talked me out of the rancho rs9000xl and into pro comp pro runners... I also picked up a bilstein ss and some synergy brackets. All replacing old RC products....

It sounds like your not comfortable with your choices. I am sure you might be fine :)

If you research on here a bit you will likely find some old posts on the shocks. I think you will find lots of stuff on the Rancho, but not so much on the pro comp. Beware the SS may cause you to pull to one side, as other gas charged stabilizers do too.

In the end, the only opinion that counts is yours. If you don't like the equipment, take it back. If you like it, enjoy it.

AMEChambers

Your correct. A little uneasy... Can't afford what I really want. I'm sure I'll be happy with the pro runners. The 90 day backing makes me a little more cozy! All in all I think it's going to be night and day compared to my RC components.

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
I have ran pro comp. I can say honestly that I am not a fan. The springs are super stiff. And te components wear out rather fast. I would steer clear of any company owned by trans American parts.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Let me guess, you bought them at 4Wheelparts? Maybe their sister company 4WD.com? You do know that they own ProComp and make better commission on products they sell that they also make? Honestly, I would cancel your order and get what you wanted or, get a set of Rancho 7000MT's - I have run both and ProComps for whatever it's worth and can tell you that the 7000MT's are a much better shock.

AMEChambers

I absolutely had no clue.... I guess I'm to naive to think that a salesman was trying to actually give me good advice rather than just trying to better himself...
I'm def going to be calling them in the morning and taking the advice of individuals not trying to just make a dime.

TrailBear

I have ran both the 9000 and now running a set of 7000, I had procomps on my old tj. I like the 7000 better, the adjuster on the 9000 can clog with mud and seize, you'll be happy with either set.

Vettethret

Let me guess, you bought them at 4Wheelparts? Maybe their sister company 4WD.com? You do know that they own ProComp and make better commission on products they sell that they also make? Honestly, I would cancel your order and get what you wanted or, get a set of Rancho 7000MT's - I have run both and ProComps for whatever it's worth and can tell you that the 7000MT's are a much better shock.

I double that!!!!!!!!! Procomp is GARBAGE! I had their BEST shock/lift set up on my 2500 and it rode like shit. My buddy had a different company for his (Forgot who it was) and it rode very nice. I wouldn't put anything from Procomp on my Jeep if you paid me to take it. And Wayalife is right, their slimy reps make more selling their junk to you. I would cancel it immediately!

AMEChambers

In your opinion which of the two choices would you recommend... Rs7000mt or the 9000xl? Or is there something else around the same price range that you believe would be better? To be honest the most off-roading I get to do down here in fl is jeep beach and Ocala national forest. Nothing major. Thank you for the heads up btw

Vettethret

In your opinion which of the two choices would you recommend... Rs7000mt or the 9000xl? Or is there something else around the same price range that you believe would be better? To be honest the most off-roading I get to do down here in fl is jeep beach and Ocala national forest. Nothing major. Thank you for the heads up btw

I've heard really positive reviews about the Adjustable 9000...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I've run both and while the 9000's are nice, adjusting them is kind of a pain, or at least to me anyway. Even if I had an in-cab controller, I don't want to bother changing the setting on it all the time. What I like about the new 7000 MT's is that they are a good solid monotube shock just like a Bilstein 5100 only cheaper. It's what I would recommend.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

I run 9000s on my Jeep and am extremely happy. Superb ride, truly superb. Friend of mine is running the same lift (AEV 2.5) but with the included bilsteins, and I wanted to stab my eyes out with blunt pencils....toothshattering on NYC roads. The 9000s are less "hardcore" and while plenty capable, are geared for ride quality and offroading being 2nd...still great though. The 7000s are monotubes, and are better suited for heavy duty wheeling. Having said that, being that you live in Florida and not the west coast/mountains, get the 9000s. Rancho is always running great deals (I got the buy 3 get 1 during shocktober) and Amazon is a great place to get em. Cancel your order for the procomps.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I run 9000s on my Jeep and am extremely happy. Superb ride, truly superb.

Totally agreed, they really are when set a setting that feels best to you. My only problem with them is that the setting on pavement was not what I wanted off-road and really, it's cool that you change that setting and that got old for me. Going from one to another and for as often as I'm on the trail, it became a pain. But, not everyone is out on the trail as often as me and so for them, it may not be a problem.

Friend of mine is running the same lift (AEV 2.5) but with the included bilsteins, and I wanted to stab my eyes out with blunt pencils....toothshattering on NYC roads.

Just to be fair, are both Jeeps 4-doors or 2-doors and are both loaded up the same? If your friend is loaded up more, he's most likely riding on the firm side of the dual rate coils. Just want to make sure we're comparing true apples to apples here as there are a lot more factors than just the two of you running the same lift. Just sayin...

The 9000s are less "hardcore" and while plenty capable, are geared for ride quality and offroading being 2nd...still great though. The 7000s are monotubes, and are better suited for heavy duty wheeling. Having said that, being that you live in Florida and not the west coast/mountains, get the 9000s. Rancho is always running great deals (I got the buy 3 get 1 during shocktober) and Amazon is a great place to get em. Cancel your order for the procomps.

IMHO, the 9000's can be every bit as "hardcore" so long as you have them dialed in for it. The 7000's are in my opinion, nicer than Bilsteins and shocks that will give an overall nice ride. Maybe not a comfortable as you can set a 9000 but, plenty good enough across the spectrum. Just trying to put things into perspective. :yup:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Totally agreed, they really are when set a setting that feels best to you. My only problem with them is that the setting on pavement was not what I wanted off-road and really, it's cool that you change that setting and that got old for me. Going from one to another and for as often as I'm on the trail, it became a pain. But, not everyone is out on the trail as often as me and so for them, it may not be a problem.

Just to be fair, are both Jeeps 4-doors or 2-doors and are both loaded up the same? If your friend is loaded up more, he's most likely riding on the firm side of the dual rate coils. Just want to make sure we're comparing true apples to apples here as there are a lot more factors than just the two of you running the same lift. Just sayin...

IMHO, the 9000's can be every bit as "hardcore" so long as you have them dialed in for it. The 7000's are in my opinion, nicer than Bilsteins and shocks that will give an overall nice ride. Maybe not a comfortable as you can set a 9000 but, plenty good enough across the spectrum. Just trying to put things into perspective. :yup:

Actually, Im the heavy one. He has a stock arctic 4 door (stock arctic wheels/tires), and I have a 4 door rubicon, with a fullwidth steel bumper, Zeon10S, rock rails, Evo skids, expedition one rear bumper/carrier, 50" LED on the windshield, 315 Duratracs, etc. From what I read, the AEV actually becomes better riding when you add weight, but before choosing to run the 9000s I did a lot of reading (didn't even give the 5100s a try) and its pretty unanimous on all forums that they ride very stiff. I also think it highly depends on where people live. NYC and the surrounding area for instance, is like driving on the moon...our roads are horrendous. Nothing is getting fixed, potholes are growing, etc. My dad already popped 3 tires on his new acura this year from highway driving.

As for setting them...I have them on 3, which feels basically the same as an OEM rubicon shock. Any less (2 or 1) feels like a cadillac, but rolls a bit much. I never understood why someone would want to stiffen up a shock when going offroad...why would you want a stiffer ride offroad? I know Im missing something, as many people said they run 2-3 on tarmac and 7 on the road, I just cant figure out why.

Last edited:

Berzerker

Supporting Advertiser TrailJeeps
Just to add some info. The bilstien 5100 are what I am running now until I can get my King 2.5s. These 5100 are nicely priced but are a little on the firm side (on pavement). On the trail they are nice until you pick up speed. I am not disappointed by the performance, because I knew they were a temporary substitution. I do think that rancho put a lot more R&D into building their 9000. If this is a shock you plan on running for 2 years go with the 9000s.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Just to add some info. The bilstien 5100 are what I am running now until I can get my King 2.5s. These 5100 are nicely priced but are a little on the firm side (on pavement). On the trail they are nice until you pick up speed. I am not disappointed by the performance, because I knew they were a temporary substitution. I do think that rancho put a lot more R&D into building their 9000. If this is a shock you plan on running for 2 years go with the 9000s.

Honestly, for the price, you can't go wrong. I spent $87 a piece for 4 shocks, and rancho rebates one of them, so it's even less. Can't beat that deal! On top of that, Amazon prime FTW!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, Im the heavy one. He has a stock arctic 4 door (stock arctic wheels/tires), and I have a 4 door rubicon, with a fullwidth steel bumper, Zeon10S, rock rails, Evo skids, expedition one rear bumper/carrier, 50" LED on the windshield, 315 Duratracs, etc. From what I read, the AEV actually becomes better riding when you add weight, but before choosing to run the 9000s I did a lot of reading (didn't even give the 5100s a try) and its pretty unanimous on all forums that they ride very stiff. I also think it highly depends on where people live. NYC and the surrounding area for instance, is like driving on the moon...our roads are horrendous. Nothing is getting fixed, potholes are growing, etc. My dad already popped 3 tires on his new acura this year from highway driving.

As for setting them...I have them on 3, which feels basically the same as an OEM rubicon shock. Any less (2 or 1) feels like a cadillac, but rolls a bit much. I never understood why someone would want to stiffen up a shock when going offroad...why would you want a stiffer ride offroad? I know Im missing something, as many people said they run 2-3 on tarmac and 7 on the road, I just cant figure out why.

Fair enough, I've driven in NY and know what you're talking about. The roads we have in the OC are like glass. Stiffer shocks do a better job of soaking up big hits when bombing through the desert or dropping off of big rocks.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Fair enough, I've driven in NY and know what you're talking about. The roads we have in the OC are like glass. Stiffer shocks do a better job of soaking up big hits when bombing through the desert or dropping off of big rocks.

Yea whenever I drive out west, it's amazing how nice roads are. Not sure if its better construction, less traffic (compared to the NYC area), less snow, different plowing methods, etc, but your roads are amazing. Im sure places like LA suck as well, but outside the big cities are probably really nice. Hope they stay that way!

Top Bottom