Wave from Shellharbour, Australia!

KtmJono

Hi all,
I live in Australia and will be getting a JK in the next few months. I have been doing a lot of online research about these awesome vehicles and planning my mods. I'm only looking to run 33's as it will be a DD and a weekend toy as well as a tow vehicle for my dirtbike. I'm eying off a set of Method NV wheels in black with some 285/70/17 Duratracs. The new Rock Crawler 1.5" lifts that are being released on 11th December have also caught my eye :brows: and so have some Fox 2.0's.. Maybe with reservoirs.. see what the budget dictates :)

Anyway this site looks great, looking forward to being a part of it! :rock:

Jono.

JKFlyer

Welcome! Do yourself a favor and go 35s. U will want to eventually!!. Stay under 2.5 inch lift and you should be able to keep most stock components

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

KtmJono

Welcome! Do yourself a favor and go 35s. U will want to eventually!!. Stay under 2.5 inch lift and you should be able to keep most stock components

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks all!

I have seen the quote somewhere that "You don't know it yet, but you'll end up on 35's or 37's" Unfortunately in Aus you need a 4-5K engineering certificate to be legal on 35's as with a lift it puts you over the 'limit'. This place has waaaay too many fun killing rules. Such a great country but when it comes to having fun, the fun police are all over everything down here. Saying that, I would still risk it if I really wanted the 35's. However I'm not going to be rock crawling in my jk, more overlanding I guess.. Plus I think 33's with a suitable lift (1.5-2.5") look good on a 2 door.. on a 4 door 35's definitely are the go tho.. :beer:

David1tontj

Welcome to wayalife Jono!! I love the KTMs!!! I ride a 450exc. Traded in my 08 yz450f for it and haven't regretted it one bit!!

As far as the jk goes, I know cash will be an issue, but without being able to lift things much in Australia, I would really recommend you look for a rubicon... They are extremely capable at stock height!! If you can't go big, then you need lockers!! Good luck!!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Angry Aussie

Welcome to wayalife. Your right australia is amazing and the people are amazing. It's weird how the country with some of the friendliest people who are all about having a good time but yet there are so many weird rules regarding cars down there. I'm half Aussie and have spent many of my summers down there I love it there but some of the car laws there are so strange. Enjoy the jeep when you get it. Post some pictures when you get it.

KtmJono

Welcome to wayalife Jono!! I love the KTMs!!! I ride a 450exc. Traded in my 08 yz450f for it and haven't regretted it one bit!!

As far as the jk goes, I know cash will be an issue, but without being able to lift things much in Australia, I would really recommend you look for a rubicon... They are extremely capable at stock height!! If you can't go big, then you need lockers!! Good luck!!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Nice! I've been a KTM fan ever since I saw them winning the Dakar in the mid 90's.. I love my 525, its such a beast and I'm a bit of a power junkie :brows: I had a ride on mates 350 exc-f a while back and man are those things nimble!! Great for tight ST and technical hill climbing.. That will be my next bike I think :) Anyway this is a Jeep forum isn't it? Haha!

With the Rubicon I would definitely love one.. However they cost around 50K here and when I can get a Sport for closer to 35 I think that will end up being my choice. Like I said I don't think I'll be doing much, if any, rock crawling so I think a Sport will see me through ok. If I get addicted to hardcore offroading then I'll look at putting lockers into the Sport.

Thanks for the welcome, nice to meet a fellow KTM rider already! :thumb:

KtmJono

Welcome to wayalife. Your right australia is amazing and the people are amazing. It's weird how the country with some of the friendliest people who are all about having a good time but yet there are so many weird rules regarding cars down there. I'm half Aussie and have spent many of my summers down there I love it there but some of the car laws there are so strange. Enjoy the jeep when you get it. Post some pictures when you get it.

Yes its weird. It's not just vehicles tho, its nearly everything thats fun! My theory is that over the years too many people with not enough intelligence have taken these fun activities too far, hurting themselves and others.. Then the common response has been to blanket ban anything that was involved with these incidents. :thinking: Even today, as soon as a new fad comes out and someone hurts themselves people are immediately up in arms calling for bans and laws to stop people doing the activity or having the toys. Its out of control. Its left us as a nanny state/ nation and is very frustrating. The majority suffers for the minority (who are missing brain cells) and we all get judged on their irresponsible behavior!!! :doh:

The last few years me and my wife have traveled to Canada and Southern California and I was in heaven! Walk into Canadian Tire and buy compressed air powered BB pistols with magazines off the shelf!! Along with all sorts of hunting gear and fun stuff!! I can't even buy fireworks legally here in Australia!! And SoCal with all the big desert trucks and prerunners.. Hell yeah, thats my kinda world!! Haha.. anyway I've been ranting too long now :yawn37:

I will post up pics of the JK when it arrives.. and the mods too :)

Desert Demon

I feel your pain :( And watchin all these wayalife videos and going through the albums are just depressing because the jeeps have so many goodies that wont be legal in australia.
Mine is a DD aswell and have to have it insured so i cant do much atm. Maybe when i get another runabout I might take my chances.

KtmJono

I feel your pain :( And watchin all these wayalife videos and going through the albums are just depressing because the jeeps have so many goodies that wont be legal in australia.
Mine is a DD aswell and have to have it insured so i cant do much atm. Maybe when i get another runabout I might take my chances.
Yeah its hard hey. I spend time online and come away thinking 'hell yeah 35's it is' Then I cool down and revert back to a leveling kit or a sub 2" lift on 33's :doh: Is your jk bone stock atm? What would you like to do to it?

keno4x4

Welcome to the forum! Did not know about the laws down under 8-(

I have 2 door and agree with you the 33's look good with 2.5" lift.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386216430.583214.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386216451.757046.jpg

Desert Demon

I have a 08 JKU with an OME 2" lift that was closer to 3 when I put it on due to the HD coils (Bonus). 33" tyres which is legal but I heard we can go 50mm more than what's on the plate now so 34s would be legal :) laws are so ambiguous so I don't know.

Sent from my HTC One X using WAYALIFE mobile app

Desert Demon

Heaps I would like to do it still though. ARB told me a week ago were not even allowed to truss or gusset our axles due pedestrian safety. No typo there, it's ridiculous

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Welcome to WAYALIFE!! Sounds like you have a good plan! Just for reference, here a 2 door with a leveling kit and 285/70R17s. While I think it looks great, I do wish I had 35s in some off road situations. Anyways, good luck with your purchase!!
IMG_0323.jpg
IMG_0227.jpg
IMG_0251.jpg

KtmJono

I have a 08 JKU with an OME 2" lift that was closer to 3 when I put it on due to the HD coils (Bonus). 33" tyres which is legal but I heard we can go 50mm more than what's on the plate now so 34s would be legal :) laws are so ambiguous so I don't know.

Yes I have heard that. While I like the idea of 34's I tend to think they look a bit too skinny.. The 75 aspect ratio just squeezes it a bit much.. JMO tho.

Heaps I would like to do it still though. ARB told me a week ago were not even allowed to truss or gusset our axles due pedestrian safety. No typo there, it's ridiculous

:icon_crazy: :thinking: :doh: This sort of stuff gets my goat. Its a massive WTF Australia! It begs belief thinking of the overpaid suits that make decisions like this. well done :asshat: Lol I'm ranting again.

KtmJono

Welcome to WAYALIFE!! Sounds like you have a good plan! Just for reference, here a 2 door with a leveling kit and 285/70R17s. While I think it looks great, I do wish I had 35s in some off road situations. Anyways, good luck with your purchase!!
View attachment 58853
View attachment 58854
View attachment 58855

Thanks! Man I love your Jeep! It looks awesome. Are those Fuel Wheels, and are you running the TF 1.5" leveling kit i.e the spacers? I think the lift height looks just right for 33's. Thanks for sharing. :D

Top Bottom