Lockers

TJ KID

Anyone on here running an OX locker? Looking at running one in my TJ in the next few weeks.. Should the front or rear be first, I live in Utah..
Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Woody3

I've never used the ox lockers but in my opinion you should do the front first. Reason being, if your climbing an obstacle, the front will be light and will need the extra help to pull you up. The rear will have a lot of weight on it and will most likely not lose traction.

OIIIIIO

This is a good topic as there will be mixed opinions. Most of the people I've seen do the rear first and I'm not really sure which is best. Perhaps they do the rear first because they could only afford to do one axle at a time.

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

Tigrcky

i think you should do the rear first, you can get a lot farther without using 4-hi. just my :twocents:

David1tontj

I've always done rear first.. Mostly because when climbing there is more weight on the rear and it is better to push your way up the hill rather than try to pull up the hill... A simple example of how this works... Have you ever tried to back up a steep hill in 2 wheel drive?? No traction... The downhill axle is the one that does most of the work. This is why we put bigger axles in the rear end of rigs..

My $.02

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

LittleD-Tj

I have seen first hand experience where each has advantages. I did front first and helps get up on a rock or ledge a lot easier then can gas it a little more to get rear where a guy with rear only couldn't get front up on same ledge. But also a case where he made some obstacles easier than I did from having rear locked. So this is definitely a personal preference for the owner.

TJ KID

Sounds like I will just do an OX in both.. However reading around it sounds like you don't want to lock the front Dana 3o?

Woody3

I'm running a 30 locked with 33's. No problem yet but maybe I'm pushing it. Dunno.

Keep your head low and your powder dry.

Tigrcky

Sounds like I will just do an OX in both.. However reading around it sounds like you don't want to lock the front Dana 3o?

Had a lock rite in my xj 30 with 34 inch tall super swampers, broke 3 different shafts, chromos fixes that problem until then don't hard over and push to go go pedal

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

1BAMFR

I did the rear first...then the front. Doesn't really matter the order you install them because you need them both anyway.

MC2003TJ

I prefer to put Detroit lockers in over cable or air operated lockers. You don't have to worry about when to engage them, they disengage when turning on the street, no lines to break and I have never broke a Detroit locker in the 20 years of jeeping. I have always installed the locker in the rear axle first. Putting to much load on a Dana30 is not good. I ran a locker in the front of my YJ for years with no hubs and had no issues. You will spin the drive shaft all of the time. Make sure the drive shaft is straight and balanced.

Woody3

Another question would be, what gears are you running?

Keep your head low and your powder dry.

matt

Caught the Bug
I'm running the OX in the rear of the JK. Did shafts at the same time so I needed a new carrier. Left the front open (d30). Make sure you get the new air kit for the locker, I used a MAC valve and connected it to my sPod and compressor. I don't have a tank for air and with the pressure regulator set up for the OX it rarely turned on. It's pretty much a bomb-proof setup for 35's IMO.

I also got the lockout for the locker, ended up giving it away to someone who was having issues with the cable lockers on the rubicon this summer. The new air kit is the way to go, no seals to deal with like the ARB. It's all in the diffcover. I keep a mechanical switch, small tank of compressed air, hose and fittings in the jeep incase the compressor takes a shit.

TJ KID

I have the 8.8 with chromoly shafts. Was going to run 4.56 for the gears. Also looking at the cable for the ox locker with the auto lock hand held for the diff

Top Bottom