INTO THE DEPTHS : A Jeep Journey Down into the Reward Mine

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back in 1860, gold was discovered in the heart of the Owens Valley and by 1864, a hole burrowed into the side of the Inyo Mountains known as the Eclipse Mine was said to be the richest in the State of California. Later renamed the Reward by the Reward Consolidated Mining Co., this mine was worked consistently from 1880 to 1914 and then started up again in 1935 for an extensive period of time. What remains today is an amazingly large network of eight connected tunnels spanning over 500 vertical feet from top to bottom. Of course, what makes this mine unique is that the main tunnel is big enough to allow about half a dozen Jeeps to off-road about a quarter of a mile down into its depths and still have enough room at the bottom to get them all turned around and heading back out again.

In this short video, you will see highlights from some of the trips we've taken down into the depths of this mine. Of course, if you ever have the chance to visit this wonderful destination, be safe, enjoy and please try to leave it nicer than when you found it. Thank you.

MTG

Caught the Bug
This looks amazing, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to drive down there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
thank you everyone. we weren't sure whether or not people would appreciate the editing or the music and we're glad that you were okay with it. :cool:

Tim

Great little vid you did there you 2. I actually like the editing and music, although if it would have been another 15min vid may have been a little much :clap2:

MTG

Caught the Bug
wayoflife said:
thank you everyone. we weren't sure whether or not people would appreciate the editing or the music and we're glad that you were okay with it. :cool:

Loved both. Honestly, great job!

TrailBear

I love every video you do, by far some of the best, I tell everyone I meet that has a jeep to check them out.

DMFNJ24601

Love it.

This is one of my trips I have planned to do when I am up in the Owens Valley in mid July. Can't wait to check it out.

Top Bottom