New winch cable stretching

In5ane1

Ok found a deal I couldn't resist on cyber Monday. I picked up an engo 10000 lb with steel cable. I plan to replace with synthetic line later down the road.

My question is on the stretching. Everything I see says to help guide the cable on the winch during this procedure. Is this not an unsafe practice?. What's the best way to do this safely?

Also, I plan to get a line dampener ...will this keep hook from flying back if it breaks at some point?

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

ttfhell

Tree strap around a tree and pull your jeep to it. You can throw a floor mat or jacket over it in case it breaks but synthetic line will normally just drop versus steel line.

JKFlyer

If worried, Winch from inside jeep. Duck if line snaps! Seriously

Every few feet, stop, get out to make sure it is coiling correctly

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If worried, Winch from inside jeep. Duck if line snaps! Seriously

Every few feet, stop, get out to make sure it is coiling correctly

That is horrible advice. The line will move WAY faster then you could even think about moving.

biggy

Hook your winch line to a tree preferably on a slight incline. Have someone get in the jeep with it running and in neutral. Have them apply a little brake pressure with you guiding the cable onto the spool as it winches in. You may have to tell the driver to turn slight left or right so that the cable spools nicely.

JKFlyer

Staying in jeep is horrible advice as u are actually winching? Should he stand next to steel cable instead,?

biggy

Staying in jeep is horrible advice as u are actually winching? Should he stand next to steel cable instead,?

Yes. The only way to spool it in properly is to guide it in. Its not like their is an extreme amount of tension on the line. Its a brand new cable so inspect it first of course and then follow what I said earlier.

JKFlyer

I'm confused...that's what he was saying that he is scared if getting hurt if line breaks so that's why I said winch a bit at a time from inside jeep then stop and check how its spooling. We all know it spools pretty good in rows...esp steel Lines vs rope. This is all assuming he is winching solo. Safety first

In5ane1

Thanks for comments. I was just asking since I've had no experience with this. Lot of what I read says stay out of path, but like one of you mentioned...it is new cable and it makes since that you might have to stand near the winch to make sure it spools properly....

biggy

I'm confused...that's what he was saying that he is scared if getting hurt if line breaks so that's why I said winch a bit at a time from inside jeep then stop and check how its spooling. We all know it spools pretty good in rows...esp steel Lines vs rope. This is all assuming he is winching solo. Safety first

Im all for being well out of harms way when winching a stuck vehicle. But really their really isn't much tension on that line during the initial spool in.

In5ane1

Im all for being well out of harms way when winching a stuck vehicle. But really their really isn't much tension on that line during the initial spool in.

10-4

Thanks biggy.

biggy

Thanks for comments. I was just asking since I've had no experience with this. Lot of what I read says stay out of path, but like one of you mentioned...it is new cable and it makes since that you might have to stand near the winch to make sure it spools properly....

Do it the way you feel comfortable doing. The point is for it to be spooled tightly without overlapping the cable or else you will kink the line.

David1tontj

After initial stretching, a good way to respool your winch is to drag a spare tire, it puts just enough tension on everything to keep the wire tight...

I have also never seen or heard of anyone breaking a winch line or rope while under such a light load as respooling.. Most of the time one snaps is when they are loaded up heavy and stressing... That's when you really need to stay clear

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

jeeeep

Hooked
remember he's pulling rolling weight on the initial spooling, JK in neutral - no tension

better if it's on a small incline to put some tug on it or like also mentioned have someone in the Jeep just to help with steering or apply very slight brake pressure if you're on flat surface.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug

No, I think Overlander was referring to not ducking in time.

David1tontj

And just to clear the air about winch rope- I was always told it just drops to the ground if it breaks.... That's a load of crap... I broke my winch rope 2 years ago and that thing shot back at the front of the truck like crazy... It was still safe because it doesn't carry as much energy (weight) as wire, but it does not "drop".

*i have snapped a wire cable too, and thankfully I only had about 25 feet out, cause that was crazy!! (And also when I switched to rope)

JKFlyer

No, I think Overlander was referring to not ducking in time.

I hear you...the theory is if u r in jeep, windshield will protect u from a snap back line. At least better than standing next to winch outside jeep. I have broken in 2 winches and each time no issues.I'm sure its rare that tgrfe is an issue

In5ane1

And just to clear the air about winch rope- I was always told it just drops to the ground if it breaks.... That's a load of crap... I broke my winch rope 2 years ago and that thing shot back at the front of the truck like crazy... It was still safe because it doesn't carry as much energy (weight) as wire, but it does not "drop".

*i have snapped a wire cable too, and thankfully I only had about 25 feet out, cause that was crazy!! (And also when I switched to rope)

A cable dampener of some sort will mitigate this...correct?

David1tontj

If you're ever stressing your winch and it is possible to do so, or you're really worried about breaking a cable, just open your hood for added protection. I may seem silly, but it will stop a cable and hook

Top Bottom