Parking brake problems

Hobolobo

Is there a way to adjust my parking brake to hold better? I park on an incline at home and when I set the parking brake, it still rolls backwards. I have a 2012 manual and I don't like leaving it in gear when I park. Thanks guys!

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Is there a way to adjust my parking brake to hold better? I park on an incline at home and when I set the parking brake, it still rolls backwards. I have a 2012 manual and I don't like leaving it in gear when I park. Thanks guys!

There is actually also an issue with the parking brake handle on some 2012s. I took mine to the dealer for some repairs and asked them to tighten the parking brake because it wouldn't hold without being pulled up as far as possible. When I went back to check on it they informed me there was a problem with the handle and they were replacing it under warranty. The PB Handle that they installed is doing the same thing now and I intend to take it back in. It's worse now though because I have 37s, I had the stock 32s on it when the brake handle was replaced originally.

When I pull up on the brake handle now, I can feel where the handle is slipping or loosing grip. It seems to do better in cold weather though...:thinking:

Good luck!

Hobolobo

Thanks for the help guys. I tried searching on project-jk (always the first place i look) but couldnt fin anything so thanks for the link as well.

Souperwulf

Hey Guys... So I just did this maintenance to adjust the parking brake (2014 JK Auto), and it worked great... But now whenever I touch the brake pedal I hear a "clicking" sound right under the gear shift console??! Has anyone ever experienced this? Just touching the brake pedal lightly, click, click, click... While it's in Park!! But if I pull the parking brake lever, no sound. Any info would be great, please and thanks!!

toxicwaste29

Just curious. Why don't you like leaving it in gear? It doesn't hurt anything. The parking brake is supposed to be a back up in case it pops out of gear. Not the main part keeping it from rolling away

Souperwulf

Yup, I always leave it in gear, I rarely even use the parking brake, but I did the adjustment just to ensure it was all good. Strangest thing though, this damn clicking sound now! Some forums say it's a brake interlock solenoid? Just rolled over 100K miles today, and I've never heard that sound until today, once she came off the jack stands.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Just curious. Why don't you like leaving it in gear? It doesn't hurt anything. The parking brake is supposed to be a back up in case it pops out of gear. Not the main part keeping it from rolling away

Wondering the same thing. Standard practice for a manual isn't it?

toxicwaste29

Just saw this was a thread revival and he (souperwulf) is starting his hijacking it. Start a new thread in the technical section.

WJCO

Meme King
It's probably your shift inter lock. This is so you can't take the vehicle out of park unless your foot is on the brake. If that's what it is, it's normal.

Top Bottom