U-Joint Caps

BONDSY

This is on me front axle, I had a feeling the cap was rotating so I marked it. Sure enough, the cap is rotating a little, should I be worried about this?

Attachments

• image-1608602286.jpg
    image-1608602286.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 157

Serg5000

As long as the retainer stays on it shouldn't come out. The fact that it rotates is telling us that the cap is either getting worn, which is weird. Or axle is messed up. Those caps are usually very tight going in and normally don't spin. I would just keep a close eye on it.

JeepFan

Hooked
Hey Bondsy

I'm pretty sure the caps shouldn't spin. It probably means the yoke ear is stretched. You'll probably need to replace the inner and outer axles. Good excuse to pickup some chromoly axles or upgrade to RCVs.

Tony

kaptkrappy

Subscribed

I'm curious, what made you think they were spinning. Was there a something you heard or felt?

They are pressed in (pretty tight) when installed, I also don't see how they could spin unless something is stretched or mis-aligned.

BONDSY

I put these new u-joints in a few months ago. I pressed them in myself. I noticed some areas that looked shinny on that cap. I guess I'll start saving for some chromoly shafts

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Bondsy

I'm pretty sure the caps shouldn't spin. It probably means the yoke ear is stretched. You'll probably need to replace the inner and outer axles. Good excuse to pickup some chromoly axles or upgrade to RCVs.

Tony

what tony said. not really a big deal if you have full circle clips but, if you're still running factory shafts with c-clips, this will lead to a failure. if you are still running factory shafts, you can tack weld the cap in place and that will help until you can't afford to upgrade to chromoly shafts with full circle clips.

BONDSY

what tony said. not really a big deal if you have full circle clips but, if you're still running factory shafts with c-clips, this will lead to a failure. if you are still running factory shafts, you can tack weld the cap in place and that will help until you can't afford to upgrade to chromoly shafts with full circle clips.

Yes I still have the factory shafts with the c-clips, I'll go ahead and tack weld the one that is moving. Thanks for the advise everyone.:beer:

JandSJK

Thats a great idea to mark the cap. i just got new 760's from ups today. Going to replace them as soon as i get this stupid cast off my hand. I'm gonna make them and make sure they aren't spinning on me. :thumb:

Top Bottom