Rear Camera Question

JKU EXTREME

I'm not very electrically (oh, let's say) savvy, so one of my questions is... Would it be possible to continuously have a back-up camera on, mit turns on every time I start my vehicle. Also, if it were to be possible for that to happen, would it be legal to toss my rearview mirror all together and replace it with a monitor. [I want to have a custom tire carrier, but it would (completely)block my line of sight to the rear).
I know it's odd
Thanks
-John

pvanweelden

Regardless of what you do with the rearview and monitor, most state laws are that you have to have 2 rear facing mirrors. If you have 2 side mirrors (like a truck driver) you should be fine.
This law is usually discussed as people run doorless, if you still have the rearview mirror, you need at least one side mirror when doorless (or 2 if you omit the rearview).

As far as the electrical part- most of the rearview monitor kits will have a wire that is supposed to feed from the Reverse in the transmission (to turn it on) Wire that to a switch instead, and have the switch always on.

I have a lod tire carrier with a 37" tire on it and it is true that you cant see anything out the back window with it there. It is possible to get a camera to stay on all the time I have one on my dodge truck.

Hobolobo

In Texas you only need one mirror on your vehicle, so if you plan on running doorless without relocating mirrors, you still need the rearview.

Rebel JK

The traildash has an input for a camera in addition to a lot of other cool stuff. I havent hooked one up to mine yet, but I think it can be set to turn on when put in reverse.

Edit that. Sorry I just reread your post. The traildash wouldnt do you any good if you want constant rearview.

Last edited:

PNWjeeper

i believe you can also retrofit a grand cherokee back up camera in the rear bumper and with a lockpick on your nav you should be able to view it full time if you want

Top Bottom