Mysterious puddle of oil under jeep

Lagavulin

A friend of mine noticed a puddle of oil under my jeep. I checked it out and assume it is oil also but when I checked the oil level manually it was showed in the "safe" range and not in the "add" range. I checked all the other fluids as well and they all are at the correct levels. I started the jeep and checked the gauge and that read ok too. Then while running I visually inspected under the jeep and under the hood/around hte engine etc. I see signs of oil but nothing is leaking. Any clues on this? Places I should check or even change out? Thanks

MTG

Caught the Bug
A friend of mine noticed a puddle of oil under my jeep. I checked it out and assume it is oil also but when I checked the oil level manually it was showed in the "safe" range and not in the "add" range. I checked all the other fluids as well and they all are at the correct levels. I started the jeep and checked the gauge and that read ok too. Then while running I visually inspected under the jeep and under the hood/around hte engine etc. I see signs of oil but nothing is leaking. Any clues on this? Places I should check or even change out? Thanks

Where under the jeep? What color? Parked flat or on an incline?

GCM 2

To add to MTG's questions; is this in your driveway/garage? Is this your usual parking spot or did you just so happen to possibly park in a spot that some other vehicle was recently in that owns the leak? Very common scenario in community parking spots.

FrankenJeeper

One thing I would consider is if it is a prank.

I guy I worked with a few years ago bought a new Harley Davidson and it was his pride and joy. A couple guys and I got some old motor oil and placed a few drops under his bike at work and someone casually pointed it out to the owner, who then proceeded to inspect his bike for about an hour before we told him it was a prank.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Lay down under the jeep and look up from where the puddle was. If you see a leak then you know where it's coming from. If you don't. Look some more.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Did you just get the oil changed? Could of been a guy who was messy with it and got puddled up on a skid plate or something and it's just dripping off from it there. I had that happen this last time I got mine changed.

Ray ⛺

Woody3

Like MTG said, we need more info. Color and where on the ground in relation to the jeep the "oil" was found would help us help you identify what component of your drive train is leaking.

Keep your head low and your powder dry.

Lagavulin

To add to MTG's questions; is this in your driveway/garage? Is this your usual parking spot or did you just so happen to possibly park in a spot that some other vehicle was recently in that owns the leak? Very common scenario in community parking spots.

I'm parked at work and it's definitely possible I could have parked over an existing oil spot but the placement is too perfect.

Lagavulin

One thing I would consider is if it is a prank.

I guy I worked with a few years ago bought a new Harley Davidson and it was his pride and joy. A couple guys and I got some old motor oil and placed a few drops under his bike at work and someone casually pointed it out to the owner, who then proceeded to inspect his bike for about an hour before we told him it was a prank.

I thought it was a prank too but I don't take my jeep to work enough for everyone to know its mine or want to prank it.

Lagavulin

Did you just get the oil changed? Could of been a guy who was messy with it and got puddled up on a skid plate or something and it's just dripping off from it there. I had that happen this last time I got mine changed.

Ray ⛺

Haven't had the oil changed recently. Plus if I did it would have been done by me.

Last edited:

Lagavulin

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386209844.031404.jpg
The puddle was directly under this.

I moved my jeep one spot over and now there is nothing. Not even a single drop

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I had a leak in my transmission pan. The seal went bad. I took it to the dealer twice to fix under warranty. It looked like oil on the ground but when you dabbed it with a paper towel it was redish meaning tranny fluid.

Sent from my iPhone

Lagavulin

I had a leak in my transmission pan. The seal went bad. I took it to the dealer twice to fix under warranty. It looked like oil on the ground but when you dabbed it with a paper towel it was redish meaning tranny fluid.

Sent from my iPhone

Dabbed the puddle on the ground with a tissue ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1386213173.208320.jpg
Then dabbed where I thought it might have come from in the previous picture I posted and it came out pretty darker than the puddle. Then I checked the color of my oil via dipstick and that was darker than the puddle also

Moochie

Dabbed the puddle on the ground with a tissue View attachment 58826
Then dabbed where I thought it might have come from in the previous picture I posted and it came out pretty darker than the puddle. Then I checked the color of my oil via dipstick and that was darker than the puddle also

That looks like a wad of toilet paper. Lol

Top Bottom