Which Superchargers can be fitted with a dual battery in place.

steve_r2

Hi,
Thinking about having a supercharger fitted, however I know not all fit if you have a dual battery setup (AEV/Magnusson etc).
I have a '09 Sahara with the M.O.R.E dual battery tray.
Suggestions please.
Cheers

Brankz

Hi,
Thinking about having a supercharger fitted, however I know not all fit if you have a dual battery setup (AEV/Magnusson etc).
I have a '09 Sahara with the M.O.R.E dual battery tray.
Suggestions please.
Cheers

Can you relocate, the battery to the back?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Guess I am just not understanding this one, but the batteries are at the back, and the supercharger mounts up front so I dont see any interference with the 2, but I am sure I am wrong on this one.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Do more research on the supercharger a first. Everyone I know that has one is not happy with it.

Agreed. Looking at the dynoplots of the centrifugal units, their power comes in way too late for wheeling use. Will probably be great on the highway, but little or no power down low where you need it. I would wait until a roots style blower hits the market. Supposedly magnusson is making one for the 3.6, and roots blowers make power MUCH faster than centrifugal blowers, so that might be more beneficial to the Jeep.

TheDuff

Not taking into account any of the issues people have been having with these supercharger, you will want to make sure this is something you really want/Need (I see a lot of used kits for sale). If you are doing a lot of crawling or technical tight trails, then a blower isn't going to help you. If you just want more power on the highway or do more open desert washes and hill climbs then cool. Just keep in mind that the 4k+ spent doing one of these kits, could ultimately be spent on something much more useful on the trail (like coilovers ect:) ) I would look through Google images for pics of the various superchargers installed to find out if it will work with your battery tray or even contact the companies directly and ask if they know of any interference issues.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Elusive

It really comes down to what you want your jeep to do.
Superchargers do not help on most trails. It doesnt help rock crawling at all. It helps a lot on sandy climbs and bombing through the desert but it really makes a difference on the road.
It makes a huge difference on the road. I hated driving my jeep with 5.13 gears automatic and a 3.8 on 35's. Now it's fun to drive.
I get about 4.5 mpg better than without the supercharger. My math says 60000 miles it will pay for itself and I've had it for 25000 now. I bought it used, installed it myself in a day, and have about $2900 into it. It's a RIPP kit and they recently sent me the smog cert sticker for it free.
I'm really happy with it actually. I changed the oil once and thats it for maintenance.
Not sure about the dual batteries. Heres what it looks like:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 160

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It really comes down to what you want your jeep to do.
Superchargers do not help on most trails. It doesnt help rock crawling at all. It helps a lot on sandy climbs and bombing through the desert but it really makes a difference on the road.
It makes a huge difference on the road. I hated driving my jeep with 5.13 gears automatic and a 3.8 on 35's. Now it's fun to drive.
I get about 4.5 mpg better than without the supercharger. My math says 60000 miles it will pay for itself and I've had it for 25000 now. I bought it used, installed it myself in a day, and have about $2900 into it. It's a RIPP kit and they recently sent me the smog cert sticker for it free.
I'm really happy with it actually. I changed the oil once and thats it for maintenance.
Not sure about the dual batteries. Heres what it looks like:

What about the over heating issues that come with the supercharger?

uhporkchop

My brother has a RIPP SC installed in his 2008 JKU and a Benchmark dual battery system and it all fits just fine. He has never had any issues to date with the batteries or the RIPP SC. I would have to agree with everyone here that the SC really does nothing for him while rock crawling but it does feel great running down the highway on the way to the trail. Gives you that extra power to pull the hills at 65-70mph rolling 37 inch tires and 5.38 gears, or play in the sand whatever. He too purchased it used which I believe makes the SC worth the money. I can't say he gets better MPG as I believe most of us just accept the fact that these tanks on tires are not build with MPG in mind.

Sorry don't have any pictures for ya….

Elusive

I ran all summer in sand and rocks... never got hot at all though the high speed fan was on the whole time while in Pismo dunes in July.
maybe I have a better tune as I am running a custom tuned 2010 PCM?
I havent heard anyone having trouble

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

If the turbo/supercharger system is well designed, it should perform like stock. Im not saying supercharged JKs don't have overheating issues, but thats not because it's supercharged....its either a poor install or a poor design (or a combination.)

Tcdawg

OverlanderJK said:

I have never had an overheating issue with my Ripp.

OP, all the Ripp components are at the front of the motor. If your dual batteries are at the rear, there would be no conflict. You do have to access the EGR tube that may be in the area of your second battery so the 2nd battery may need to be removed temporarily when you access the EGR tube but it can go back in when you are done with the install.

Don't know about other brand sc's

Last edited:

steve_r2

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies.
Guess that some of you haven't seen where I live ?
I'm in Dubai ...... So the type of wheeling I do is greatly different to the majority of your good selves (rock crawling etc). For me I am playing around doing drives through desert and big dunes ( up to 300 mtrs) in places like the Empty Quarter.
I don't need the "instant on" torque which I believe you require when your rock crawling however I do believe that having a SC will benefit when in deep/ soft/ long climbs in sand etc . As it is also my dd it can only help in that respect.
And yes I am re-gearing in the New Year so will see how that has an effect first.
I have read plenty of stuff both good and bad about SCs so I wanted points of view in relation to my rig with a dual battery and what fits hence the O.P.
I am happy to be proved wrong as always willing to learn.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies.
Guess that some of you haven't seen where I live ?
I'm in Dubai ...... So the type of wheeling I do is greatly different to the majority of your good selves (rock crawling etc). For me I am playing around doing drives through desert and big dunes ( up to 300 mtrs) in places like the Empty Quarter.
I don't need the "instant on" torque which I believe you require when your rock crawling however I do believe that having a SC will benefit when in deep/ soft/ long climbs in sand etc . As it is also my dd it can only help in that respect.
And yes I am re-gearing in the New Year so will see how that has an effect first.
I have read plenty of stuff both good and bad about SCs so I wanted points of view in relation to my rig with a dual battery and what fits hence the op.
I am happy to be proved wrong as always willing to learn.

Since you are Dubai I can't see why not to get a SC if the regear doesn't satisfy your needs

Sent from my iPhone

philippechivee

I have a Ripp installed in my 2008JKU Rubi and I have nothing but nice things to say about it. And I can confirm that all parts go to the front end so I don't see why it should be a problem with dual batteries. But I will call Ripp, ask for Ross (the owner) and talk with him. Sorry for my last minute fifty scents!!

Philippe aka FROG1
2008 JKU Rubicon
Highly modified and in constant evolution.....

Top Bottom