Rear axle spline upgrade question

Jerms

Friend of mine is wondering if his rear non-rubicon Dana 44 (07 X Unlimited) can be upgraded to a 32 spline without changing anything (im assuming his is 30 spline now).

Rottenbelly

Friend of mine is wondering if his rear non-rubicon Dana 44 (07 X Unlimited) can be upgraded to a 32 spline without changing anything (im assuming his is 30 spline now).

Have to have a carrier that accepts 32 spline axles. Might as well do 35 if your gonna upgrade.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

No. At bare minimum, you would need to get a carrier or locker to match but, even at that, nobody out there sells a 32 spline shaft that will go with it. In a way, he's lucky being that unlike a Rubicon, X/Sport/Sahara's have equal length shafts and what he can do is install a 35 spline ARB and run it with 35 spline shafts - a stronger than Rubicon setup. :yup:

Jerms

No. At bare minimum, you would need to get a carrier or locker to match but, even at that, nobody out there sells a 32 spline shaft that will go with it. In a way, he's lucky being that unlike a Rubicon, X/Sport/Sahara's have equal length shafts and what he can do is install a 35 spline ARB and run it with 35 spline shafts - a stronger than Rubicon setup. :yup:

Which would require a new carrier with 35 splines, correct?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Which would require a new carrier with 35 splines, correct?

Well, that or a locker with 35 splines, yes. At that point, you really should get an ARB locker as they make one specifically for this purpose. I've run that setup in the past.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Well, that or a locker with 35 splines, yes. At that point, you really should get an ARB locker as they make one specifically for this purpose. I've run that setup in the past.

That is what I am running in the back of my Rubi.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder why they don't . Seems their would a market for it.

Not really. The factory 32 splines have proven themselves to be plenty strong for most people. Of course, back when I did it, I was hopeful that it would last longer than it did but of course, the real answer I need was a Trail or ProRock 60 and, that's what most Rubicon guys do.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
The ARB part number is RD157 for the Rubi ARB locker. Thought about going with a D60 instead of the ARB and shafts, but it was enough of a cost upgrade and I still have a PSC to buy and install before Moab!
:beer::beer:

Top Bottom