CO2 tank mounting options (home made)

Woody3

Hello all,
I know there are quite a few commercially made co2 bottle brackets for the TJ but I'm cheap and like to do things myself. That being said, I would like to see what your using to secure your tanks. I'm currently using a ratchet strap to my roll bar and it's been working for a couple years but it's sometimes a pain.

Let's see your "custom" brackets, straps, ropes....

Keep your head low and your powder dry.

ltdanlj

Am I the only guy running CO2? :)

Keep your head low and your powder dry.

I run CO2, but I'm using the powertank mount. I have it bolted to the side of the driver's inner fender well in the trunk... This was one of those times I didn't want to go "home made"... a full power tank it not light, and I would hate for it to come loose during an accident...

Tackerdown

Banned
I'm in hvac and have been debating carrying my nitrogen bottle with me but the 40# is kinda big but works good. I'm really considering making a holder for it though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

Sorry woody, I am in the same boat, I have a 10# tank, but I hardly ever take it because I have an onboard air system.

When I do take the tank, it's because I am on a trip that I know ill air up lots of tires and don't want to wait for my compressor..

I have thought about making a bracket, but I'm currently doing the same thing you are... Ratchet strap!! If I make one soon I'll post it up!

Good luck!

Ps I thought about making it out of 3/4 plywood for simplicity. At least make a prototype out of ply to see if your design works, then burn some steel together after using the wood pieces for templates.. Just a thought

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Woody3

I was thinking about something like this but on a smaller scale. I've made a lot of these to hold my oxy acetylene bottles when I was in the Coast Guard and they hold the bottles real well. I may just make a set and try it out.

aqube3yq.jpg
hyzuba8u.jpg

On a side note, while I was strapping my tank in tonight for tomorrows run, the valve came in contact with the roll bar and opened up. It was already pretty snug on the cage and I wasn't able to get the valve closed. Needless to say, I lost all my o2 and it was to late to get it refilled. :( hope I can use someone's air tomorrow. :D

OIIIIIO

David1tontj

I'm sure someone will have air for you! It's not like its a crazy tough run that everyone is going to drop their tires down to 6psi for.

That bracket you have pics of makes me want to build one like that with my wheel lug pattern on one end so I can put it on my spare tire!!

Woody3

That's a great idea!!! I may copy you if you don't mind.

I usually put a rubber gasket material between the metal and the tank to reduce the chance of the tank being damaged from rubbing.

OIIIIIO

David1tontj

You wouldn't be copying me, cause I haven't done it yet!! Besides, I was only trying to throw out ideas to help you anyway! Do it!

Woody3

Will do. I had to borrow someone's air today after the run. I like being self sufficient so I was bummed about not having my air. :D.

OIIIIIO

supra_launch21v

My 1st Gen CO2 Tank Mounting Option

This tied under the bulkhead of the tub and onto the fender well. It worked great and was very quiet. No rattling at all.
006lores.jpg 014lores.jpg

Top Bottom